Friday, January 18, 2013

Show Us Your Life: Cream of Carrot-Cheddar Soup

Welcome to those of you visiting from Kelly's blog in February 2014. This is still one of my favourite soups and I still don't have a picture to show you. Maybe next time...

Kelly is hosting a soup link up and there is nothing I like better than soup. Yum yum yum! My absolute favourite soup is Cream of Carrot-Cheddar Soup. During my pregnancy with Sam I ate this at least once a week. Dave got so sick of it. I could eat it forever. Sorry I don't have any pictures of this soup but trust me, it's delicious.

Saute in a large kettle:
2T butter or margarine
1/2 c chopped onion (I always just use a whole one)

Add and simmer until vegetables are tender (at least half an hour or more):
1 lb carrots (8-10) shredded
1 lb potatoes (3-5) shredded
(I always used to use a cheese grater and then I discovered the joy of the food processor. Then my food processor died and now I'm back to using my cheese grater.)
6c chicken broth (I do a mix of chicken and beef. I really like the beef-y flavour. Even though I'm a vegetarian! Ha!)
1 bay leaf
1/8t Tabasco sauce (I always skip this because I don't like any heat. However my mom always adds it (and probably more than the recipe calls for) and I never find her soup too spicy.)
1/2t Worcestershire sauce (I always add more. LOVE this stuff!)
1/2t sugar 
salt and pepper to taste

Add, stirring until cheese is melted:
1 1/2c milk (can also use part cream)
1-2c cheddar cheese, shredded

Discard bay leaf and serve hot.

(from the More-With-Less Cookbook by Doris Janzen Longacre. You can read more about this cookbook here.)
(This picture is actually a creamy squash soup. My link wasn't working without a picture so I added
the best soup picture I could find. I can also post this recipe if people are interested.)

3 comments:



  1. Do you put it in the food proceesor or just eat as is? Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just used the food processor to grate/shred the carrots, potatoes and cheese. The carrot-cheddar soup, once it is ready, does not get processed. The squash soup I pictured did get food processed (through my Magic Bullet in small batches).

    It's confusing because sadly, I don't have a picture of the cream of carrot-cheddar soup (which is chunkier) and the soup I did show is a smooth soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of carrot cheddar soup, but it sounds really good. I'll have to try it.

    Found you through Kelly's Link Up.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)