Thursday, December 05, 2013

It's Really Hard To "Sleep" In One Of Those Beds

*Formerly titled "Well, That Was Fun"
Sam and I in the ER at the beginning of our 8 hour stay.
Yesterday morning I woke up feeling awful. I had a headache, an extremely sore throat and general aches and pains. I took Sam to school, Rachel to preschool and took it easy. I picked Rachel up from preschool, fed her lunch and dumped her in her crib at noon. (I know, mom of the year award, right there.) Then I crawled into bed.

For the next four and a half hours I slept, shivered, and felt worse. I called Dave and he picked up Rachel from home and Sam from school. I continued to lie in bed.

While this was going on, Sam had a doctor's appointment. Remember a couple of weeks ago when he was sick? Well ever since then, his system has been off so I made a doctor's appointment for him. It was yesterday at 5. So I dragged myself out of bed and we all went to his appointment. The doctor ordered some tests and then we came home.

I went straight back to bed, where I slept off and on until 1am when we heard Sam crying. He had thrown up. The only order the doctor had given us, besides getting some tests done, was "If he starts throwing up, take him to the ER." So at 1:30am Sam and I were on our way. Thankfully they got us processed through pretty quickly and by 2:15am we were in a cubicle, sharing a small, single bed (with no pillow). We slept off and on until 4:15am when Sam threw up again. Thankfully I'd thought to bring him some extra pjs. Unfortunately, I'd only thrown my fleece on over my pajama shirt (with no bra, mind you!), and my fleece took a direct hit. So yeah I was super-comfortable for the rest of our hospital stay. (There has to be a small piece of humour somewhere in here, right?!?!?!)

At 7:30 the doctor finally got around to seeing us. She ordered some more tests, including an x-ray and a blood draw. Yay. The blood draw broke my heart, even though they'd given Sam some numbing agent. He started to cry and I almost did too. But considering he is four and a half years old and he hasn't been feeling well for a couple of weeks, and he hadn't really slept, and I thought he did really well.

Then he got his x-ray and the x-ray technician was awesome with him. He got Sam to say "Cheese!" and flex his muscles and Sam was in fine spirits. Especially when he got to see his own insides!

At 10am the doctor came back to say that she couldn't see anything majorly wrong, gave us some advice and sent us on our way. By 10:30 this morning we were home and both Sam and I went straight to bed. I slept until 4 this afternoon, and miraculously am feeling a lot better. Sam seems to be doing okay too, although the combination of a crappy "night's" sleep at the hospital, and then sleeping for most of the day, has thrown both of us off.

Needless to say I haven't been doing much besides sleeping and hanging out at the hospital for the past thirty hours. It's been a day, one I hope I never have to repeat.


  1. Oh yuck!!! What a terrible day/night!! I wish you'd been able to get some help for your own sickness while you were there! But I'm glad you're feeling a little better anyway. Ugh. Yall keep laying low and get well soon!

  2. Oh no!! That doesn't sound like a fun way to spend the night/day :( I'm glad you got some good sleep today though, AND that you're feeling better. Hopefully Sam won't have anymore issues or hospital visits!

  3. Bless your heart. I'm so sorry that ya'll have both been feeling so bad. I'm glad that it wasn't anything to serious. Praying for you both!

  4. So sorry! Prayers that both of you will be 100 percent again soon!

  5. Oh no!! I am behind on blogs this week as reading anything on my work computer has been crashing it and i've not been home at night to read them. (boo.) I am so sorry to read all of this - praying for speedy recoveries all the way around!!

    1. Thank you for your prayers. Thankfully we are both back to normal, more or less. Yay! And I'm sorry to hear about your work computer. Blah :(


Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)