Thursday, December 05, 2013

And Then There Were Five (And Six) Nights Of Chanukah

 
On the fifth night of Chanukah we lit the candles on five menorahs! We were at Dave's parents' house to celebrate on this night and they have quite the menorah collection. Some of them were ones Lily received this past summer for her Bat Mitzvah.
Andrea even pulled out a sixth menorah, an oil one, to show Sam. He loved it. You fill each holder with oil and then put a wick in it. The wick burns, feeding off the oil. It was pretty neat.
Andrea made a meal based on foods her mother would have made. We remembered the Chanukah we spent with Dave's grandparents' in New York State, the last one before his grandma died. You can read a little about that celebration here.
While we waited for supper to be ready, Lily, Sam and Rachel worked on a Chanukah banner. They didn't get it finished but it may be something which gets worked on every year.
We had soup, fish, oven baked latkes and pineapple upside down cake for dinner. Can you see the pineapple menorah lit with five cherry flames in the cake for the fifth night of Chanukah? I thought it was pretty neat!
On the sixth night of Chanukah we gave each of the kids another present from us.
Sam got an Air Canada plane set, which he was so excited about -- "This is EXACTLY what I wanted!" he exclaimed -- and Rachel got a pancake set. Each kid was thrilled with their gift as you can see below.

3 comments:

  1. The pineapple upside down cake looks so yummy!!!! I think I'm going to have to make some. =) I love the presents you got for the kiddos. I imgaine that they will be playing with those for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really do come up with the best gifts! I love that little plane and pancake set to inspire their little creative minds with pretend play. Who makes those sets? It looks kind of like Melissa and Doug. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pineapple upside-down cake idea! So cute, and definitely one I'll need to try to recreate.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)