Monday, August 17, 2015

Summer 2015: Week Seven (The Saskatchewan Edition)

It's a good thing I had to postpone writing about Week Seven of our summer, because otherwise I'd have nothing to post today. Normally on Mondays I write all about the excitement which was our weekend, but this past weekend was completely non-blog worthy. The kids and I flew home, we unpacked (a large percentage of) our house, we slept, I felt awful, I went to work, and Dave and the kids went to a pool party at Dave's former boss' house. I did four loads of laundry, mowed the lawn, and bought way too many groceries at 10pm on Sunday night. (Now aren't you glad I didn't devote a whole blog post to that excitement?)

However, let me share a little bit of last week with you guys.
We had to get up really early to catch our flight to Saskatchewan, so we went to bed quite early on Thursday night. Thus, when I woke up at 5am on Friday morning, and heard the kids, I went to check on them. Above is what I discovered. I honestly have no idea what time they woke up, but at least they knew to stay quiet :) 
This will not be interesting to about 99% of you, but the other 1% might find this picture of the house where I grew up interesting/shocking. My parents lived here for the first 35 years of my life. Unfortunately, they had to move because a subdivision was planned for their property. You can barely see our old house in this picture, and Mom and Dad keep wondering when they will just bulldoze it. It's partly sad to me (because my kids will never get to experience the place where I grew up) and party, I don't care. My parents have a wonderful new house with a new beautiful yard and we have made lots of amazing memories there.
I had time to paint my and Rachel's toenails before we went to the wedding. Rachel was super-excited about her nailpolish and kept showing it off to everyone!
Sam and Rachel discovered some glass beads my mom had and Sam made a hockey game! I just love seeing his imagination in action.
We went to visit my grandma. She is almost 92 years old. And even though we didn't get a four generation picture, this time, I did get these cute ones of Grandma giving Sam and Rachel a ride. Let's just say this ride was much calmer than the ones Sam and Rachel were giving each other in Grandma's tiny apartment. Ha!
We spent part of an afternoon at Kinsmen Park. This is a park on the riverbank in Saskatoon and I remember getting to go on the merry-go-round, the ferris wheel, and the train. They very recently re-did everything and updated the rides (although I think the merry-go-round might be original), and so we paid a visit.
Sam didn't want to go on the ferris wheel, so only Rachel, Dad, and I did. It is six stories high and we had quite the view.

We also paid a visit to the Roughriders' store! If you've been reading here for awhile you know of my great love for the Saskatchewan Roughriders CFL team. Sam and Rachel, even though they've never lived in Saskatchewan, are being indoctrinated raised right introduced to my love of the Riders, and so we had to pick up some new things.
Sam got some Lego knockoff, Rachel got a striped Roughriders bunny (which she promptly named "Roughriders Funny Bunny"), and I got a mug and some green nailpolish.
Rachel spent some time outside, blowing bubbles. It was really hot while were in Saskatchewan so it was awesome to be able to spend so much time outside. We really enjoyed our visit and can't wait to get back there!

And now we're into Week Eight of summer. This week will be defined by more unpacking, working, and doing some childcare for a friend of mine. Doesn't it sound exciting?

Enjoy your week, whatever it may hold.


  1. Love that picture of the kids with your grandma--so special!

  2. I'm so glad that you all had such a great time with your parents. I think it's great that you all have such an amazing relationship.

  3. Love it! I know the feeling of nostalgia over seeing your old home, but I also understand that it is easier to let it go once you have made so many new memories to bond you to a new home. That little park looks great. The train and old merry go round remind me of our park here in Raleigh, but we don't have a ferris wheel. Boo! :-)

  4. Oh my goodness! My grandmother is almost 91 and lives in an identical place in her own tiny apartment... and Lincoln and Kate ride on her walker too! Even our grandmothers live identical lives :)


Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)