Saturday, April 25, 2015

Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon

Edited to Add: For those of you looking for just the opening meme, here are my responses:

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. Although I am planning on walking around the block into Kitchener! I won't read there though. Yes, we live in a twin city, and yes, I live on the border :)
 
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
Asking me this is like asking me to pick a favourite child :) I don't actually know. ALL OF THEM!!!
 
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?
Chips and dip! South Georgia Caviar! Basically, the two I don't have pictured below. Ha ha ha!
 
4) Tell us a little something about yourself!
My birthday is next Saturday and my husband and I give each other experiences, rather than gifts. I asked for the Readathon as my birthday experience this year. I have two kids (Sam just turned six and Rachel will be four in June) and they will be spending some time with their grandparents today. They are looking forward to participating in the readathon with me as I read them their stack of bedtime stories (pictured below).

Is it redundant to add that I LOVE to read! And I read pretty much every and anything I can get my hands on. Looking at all the readathon TBR stacks on Instagram has added about twenty new books to my "want to read" list. Yay!
  
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?

This is my first readathon and really, I'm looking forward to 24 hours of (mostly) uninterrupted reading!!! And the snacks! And connecting with people :)

And now on with my original warmup post for my blog readers, which gives you a little more information about me and my readathon plans. Happy reading everyone! #rahrahreadathon

It's T minus 46 minutes until the Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon starts! I'm so excited to be participating. I first heard about this from my blog friend, Shoshanah, when she participated in April 2014. For some reason, I missed the one this past October, but I asked Dave if I could participate in this one as my birthday experience. I said I wanted to attempt to read for the whole 24 hours and I knew I would need his support.
I've been gathering my TBR (to be read) pile for awhile now. I know I won't get through all these books but one thing I've heard is to have a wide variety because you don't know what will appeal to you after twenty straight hours of reading. I'm planning on reading from the top down.

The Interestings is my book club book for tomorrow (!) so I need to finish it. I started it a couple of days ago just so that I knew I would be drawn right back into it as the readathon starts. Then I have two books of essays which I will intersperse throughout the event. I put some easy reads at the bottom of my stack so that I will have books to keep me engaged in the middle of the night when I am absolutely exhausted and ready to crawl into bed. And who knows? I might randomly throw another book in there instead, just for fun. Harry Potter anyone? :)
I've put a lot of thought into what I will be wearing and what mug I'll be drinking my coffee-hot chocolate from. Or possibly tea. We'll see what appeals to me as the day goes on.
Speaking of drinking, I picked up some special caffeine to have for later in the day. And also some snacks. Besides those pictured here, I also have some South Georgia Caviar mixed up and I'll likely also eat some chips and dip. In addition, I also have an entire pitcher of cold water to drink throughout the day. I won't just be downing caffeine like it's going out of style.
I've also put a lot of thought into my meals. Dave has offered to pick up a Vincenzo's sandwich for me for lunch, and since he will be gone for supper, I have one of my favourite frozen pizzas to toss in the oven as an easy meal. And I'll probably add a superfoods salad to that as well, just to try and keep things a little healthy :)
The kids will be gone to the synagogue for the morning and Dave's parents are taking them for the afternoon. However, I am planning on reading with them in the evening, and here are all the books we've picked out for us to read together. They also have a much larger stack for Dave to read to them after this stack is done!

My plan is to try and read as much as possible over the next 24 hours. However, I am also going to take some walks around the block, and possibly have a nap or two in there. We shall see...

I am so excited to participate in this for the first time and am really looking forward to my experience. I haven't yet decided how often I will update, but feel free to check back in later on today and see how it's going. And if you're at all inspired, pick up a book and feel free to join me (and the over 1500 1700 other people) who are reading.

Ready... set... READ!!!

3 comments:

  1. Love that shirt, and the mug is great too :-) I have The Interestings on my shelf and thought about adding it to my stack for this but then figured it was already big enough :-p Happy readathon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing for getting so much reading done in one day! I can't even imagine doing this because although I do love to read, it almost always makes me sleepy and I would end up napping more than reading. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I'm clearly way behind on commenting, I just wanted to say I'm happy to see I inspired you to join the readathon! And I live that the kids got involved too. I didn't participate this time, but did have a lot of fun the last time I did... So maybe I'll try again in October?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)