Thursday, June 20, 2013

Thursday Thankfulness

I am thankful for a few things today. First of all, Miss Rachel turned two on Monday! We had her party on Sunday night but there was still celebrating to do on her actual birthday. First, I decided to dress her in a cute smocked bubble I bought from Kelly at Kelly's Korner. Rachel was unimpressed. Acutally, I mostly think she didn't want her picture taken since she calmed down once I stopped.
We went to Let's Play and then Rachel had a good nap so she was ready for the rest of the festivities which included opening her present from Mommy and Daddy.

We gave her a tea set. A tin tea set, because we are not insane. That thing has gotten so much use since Monday. Currently Rachel's Cafe is serving crayons as it's main feature! Sam wanted to give Rachel a present so he got her some plastic jewelry so she will hopefully stop wanting to wear my necklaces. Sadly, it was hard to find something that wasn't branded. We went with Cinderella because she, at least, is a classic princess. Blah -- princesses :(
Now Rachel can serve tea in style!
This is Rachel opening the card from my parents, which my dad bought. Inside it says "Just ignore the paparazzi" which is kind of appropriate, given the first picture in this post. However, Opa, I would like to point out that if it weren't for the "paparazzi" you would never see any pictures so there. :)
After supper it was time for another birthday cupcake. I made sure to save a couple from the party. This time Rachel had one with green and blue icing. It was a little messier.
And the next day Rachel decided to put on earrings with her pjs and serve some more tea! It made me smile. And grab my camera :)
Second of all I am thankful I have a husband who is willing to let Father's Day be completely ignored so that we could put all our energies into getting ready for Rachel's party. We celebrated Dave yesterday. We're good at celebrating holidays not on the actual day. (See here and here for other examples!)
I got up early and cooked Dave one of his favourite breakfasts (eggs in a frame), along with coffee (in his mug from Sam of course!), smoothie, and fruit, while he went for a run and showered. I also put all the dried dishes away, which is normally his job. Last night I made Beef and Guinness Stew with mashed potatoes for supper. This is a meal I know Dave really likes. Then we spent some time outside. Dave got to trim some of the hedge, which has been on his mind for awhile now. And the kids gave Dave a card which said something along the line of, "Happy Father's Day to the King of the Castle. From your Unruly Subjects." This card made me laugh so much because it totally describes our kids lately!

I think Dave had a good belated Father's Day celebration and I'm thankful he was willing to postpone it so we could celebrate Rachel.

Third, I am thankful that Sam has enjoyed preschool so much this year. I cannot believe that tomorrow is his last day. He will be going there for two weeks of camp this summer, and then he is off to Kindergarten in the fall. It's hard to believe. Here he is on his first day this past September.
How is this school year over already?!?!?! I'm thankful that Rachel will be going for one morning a week starting in September because I think she will love it!

And this ends my Thursday thankfulness post. What are you thankful for this Thursday?

Trips to the gym last week: 2 (But Dave said I still get new exercise clothes because this weekend was INSANE!) This week I've only been once but I'm going again tonight.
Nights without snacking: A lot! I forgot and had some popcorn at my church's women's movie night on Saturday but Dave said that was okay. We also had date night on Monday so I had a small plate of nachos. Mostly though, Dave has been really impressed with how well I'm doing, and since my "book" is already ordered, I need to keep it up. (Speaking of which, I CANNOT WAIT to share what my "book" is with all of you!!! But you'll have to wait until mid-July because I won't get it before then.)
Hours of sleep: I have been mostly getting 7-8 hours of sleep a night which is awesome. A few nights I might have gotten only 6 3/4 hours but I'm definitely feeling better rested.

It has been amazing to me how knowing I'm going to have to post my "failures" on the blog has motivated me to keep up these better habits. Now to figure out what I'm going to change in July... :)

9 comments:

  1. Ha, girlfriend is rockin' her new jewelry ;) glad she had a good bday and that Dave had a good belated Father's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you for your hard work on healthy habits!! GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!! I'm thankful for your vulnerability/accountability there!!! :)

    And don't you EVER stop being a paparazzi!! :)

    Love your breakfast for your husband. Ryan made me those on one of our dates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It has been really good (and helpful) for me to be accountable on the blog. And obviously it is helping me to stay on track.

      I will never stop being a paparazzi! I'm too addicted to taking pictures now :)

      And since I am really not a breakfast person, this was a major accomplishment for me, but Dave really appreciated it so it was well worth it. And he is well worth it too :)

      Delete
  3. Love that tin tea set- such a great idea! Those crayons look delicious...old family recipe??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to Rachel. She is way to cute serving tea in her little earings. Adorable!!

    You'll have to do a post on how to make eggs in a frame. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job, and I love the tea set! We couldn't resist a Curious George set for C a few weeks ago, and she loves it! Maybe the collectibles/breakables can wait until they're older?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is fun watching Rachel and Sam get so big. Cuties! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've been missing seeing pictures of Lance lately... :)

      Delete
  7. Oh my, I really fell off the wagon reading your blog in June/July and missed so many good posts. Sigh. I was just on here looking at pictures that we could maybe use in your sidebar (family pictures, etc.). Anyway, I just love how cute Rachel looked celebrating her birthday. Her in those earrings pouring "tea" is just adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)