Monday, January 18, 2021

If A Tree Falls In The Forest...

...does anybody hear it? Or "If a person celebrates a birthday during a pandemic, does it actually count???" Dave's birthday was yesterday and normally, we try to have a fun experience to mark birthdays. You may remember that last year we were in San Juan, before leaving on our Disney Cruise. (You can read about that birthday here.) The year before that, we celebrated at Blue Jays' WinterFest and Dave was able to meet his favourite baseball player ever! (You can read those posts here and here.) This year, well, we all know what this year has looked like...

Our province is currently under a fairly strict lock down so we can't get together with anyone nor are we really allowed to leave our houses (except for "essential trips.") Since exercise is considered "essential" we went for a winter hike at a trail we had heard about which sounded interesting.

The trail is called "The GeoTime Trail" and it has signposts which explain geological history in our area (and beyond). It was a little cold, and the signs are quite extensive, so I took pictures of each sign so the kids could read them at their leisure.

I enjoyed taking a ton of pictures. Some of my nature pictures are inspired by my blog friend, Joanne, who posts a lot of pictures from their winter hikes in the woods. (You can read Joanne's blog here.)


We found a few trees which had fallen over and enjoyed a slight detour to play on them awhile.
We had tried doing this trail walk a few weeks ago but it was pretty much under ice. This time it was still really icy but none of us fell. We all agreed we want to try and do this trail again sometime when it's less icy. Sam needed help from Dave to get up a few hills (and so did I!) and Rachel had her own way of getting down icy hills :)
More pictures of nature close up. I really enjoyed playing around with my camera and taking pictures!
Did I mention that Sam and Rachel were excited about reading the signs?!?! They actually want to take all the pictures of the signs and make them into a photo book. Hahaha!
We were mostly in the middle of a forest, or walking around the outskirts of it, but we were also in the middle of a subdivision, so we had views like this gorgeous frozen water on one side but on the other side were the backyards of people who live in the subdivision.
I loved this bridge, and the creek it went over.
This was a really fun day in icy woods and I'm so glad we were able to do this.

14 comments:

  1. Nice job on the photos. I am always impressed with Joanne's photos too. Always good to get outside :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really need to find more ways to get outside because it's so good for all of us.

      Delete
  2. LOVE this! It looks so much fun! We walked to Dollar General yesterday. SO not the same. lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a fan of hikes and nature but not sure I'd love being cold while doing it! And my kids definitely not!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great time out to celebrate Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Dave! I am sure he was happy just being with his fam but here is to a big celebration next year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're really hoping for a HUGE celebration next year because it's his 40th birthday!!!

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday, Dave! That hike looks amazing, I'm glad y'all were able to spend time together and do something enjoyable!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, I feel so honored that you took all those nature photos based on my influence (they're so pretty by the way!!). While I am sure it was no way near as fun as San Juan or a Disney cruise it does look like a fun outing and a great way to mark a quarantine birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments on the pictures :) And it felt about as celebratory as it could for Dave which is what counts!

      Delete
  8. I love the kids were excited about reading the signs... that was me as a kid... & basically still as an adult.
    Yeah.. icy hills & me - we dont get along

    ReplyDelete
  9. What gorgeous snow photos! So glad you got out into nature. I know that really helps me when my state of mind is not great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dave's birthday will be memorable for different reasons this year. For the lovely time your family enjoyed on the wintry hike. Great photos. I like how straight the trees are in the background of some of the family pics. And that frozen creek is beautiful. Must have been very cold, though!! It would probably take me a week to warm up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. HAppy birthday Dave! This is the kind of birthday activity that I would absolutely love and Adam would absolutely despise LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)