Monday, January 11, 2021

Not Just A Mom: Getting Cozy/Small Comforts

For the first time ever (I think), I'm joining with the Not Just A Mom link up. Since I'm blog friends with three of the hosts now, it felt like a good way to support these friends. Besides, what with lock downs and Covid, I sometimes forget that I have a life outside of being a mom (and an employee).

image from here

Today we're talking about "getting cozy/small comforts" and since we're in the midst of Winter and, as I write this post, it's -11C (12F) and colder with windchill, I'm all about "cozy" right now. So here are some of the ways I get cozy.

I cannot handle being in bare, or sock, feet while at home so in winter, I'm always wearing slippers. I LOVE these slippers from Costco. Last year I bought myself a package of two pairs and then my mom gave me a package for Christmas! Now I have Costco slippers to last me for years which is awesome! I wear these until they get holes in the bottom.
I hate wearing socks but, when I have to wear socks, I've turned to these Costco merino wool socks for years. They are pretty much the only socks I can stand to wear. I have a lot of pairs in grey and black but they were all in the wash. These socks last forever.
 
I also wear a pair of socks to bed every night in the winter. I usually kick them off at some point but I go to bed with them on.

Lately this has been my "go to" comfy outfit. If I'm at home, I'm likely wearing this! I bought these pajama pants years ago and Janice (my best friend) got a matching pair. They are super fuzzy and soft and actually too warm to wear to bed. I hardly wore them for years and suddenly, in about October, I discovered they are the best "at home" pants. I put them on with my new(ish) Sherpa sweater and it honestly feels like wearing a warm hug.

Another way I get cozy is with blankets. I love that you can see three in this picture! The one I'm wrapped up in is a super soft velour on one side and then fuzzy, Sherpa-like material, on the other side. Dave got it in a care package from his work and our whole family fights over it. It is seriously the best blanket.

I love reading a good book, wrapped up in a warm blanket, with a mug of something hot to drink. If it's before noon, I'm drinking coffee-hot chocolate and if it's the afternoon or evening, I'm drinking tea -- usually decaffeinated.

Lately I've been loving a mug (or more!) of cranberry tea. 

At the end of a winter's day, there's nothing like crawling into bed and being enveloped by flannel sheets. I also always have my comfort/magic bag heated up and wrapped around my feet. It's the perfect way to fall asleep.

We took down all our decorations last weekend but we did keep the lights up in the dining room window. I love their soft glow in the evenings and it just makes our dining room feel so cozy.

Another super random, small comfort that I always indulge in during January and (sometimes) into February is having a bouquet (or two!) of tulips in the house. I don't think this adds to the coziness of our house but it does bring me hope that Spring will eventually come.

I'm looking forward to reading the other blogs in the link up to see if there's anything that brings coziness which I'm missing out on! What's something that you do to get cozy or which brings you small comfort?

23 comments:

  1. love that you buy flowers.... brilliant! I kick off my socks at night too XO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have flowers in the house too, it does remind us that spring is coming! And I'm all for the tea, blankets, and books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this and that cranberry tea sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of these things too!! I need to get some tulips too, they do brighten up the winter months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tulips are a great way to make January and February happier!

      Delete
  5. I like to buy fresh bunches of flowers for the kitchen table particularly in winter since I can't see them outside my window. I too tend to wear socks to bed but pull them off at some point during the night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flowers seriously bring me so much joy! I don't need them as much in November for some reason but they make me so happy in January and February.

      Delete
  6. I love pajamas too! As soon as I can put on a sweatshirt or pjs, I do! I'm glad our Christmas decorations are down, but I miss the glow of the lights. They always made the mornings feel extra cozy. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving having the glow in January. I'll probably take them down after that but we'll see...

      Delete
  7. You've inspired me to go pull out my cranberry tea! That sounds perfect right about now :) Thanks for linking up with us today!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are loving the cranberry tea around here -- even the kids who usually aren't big tea drinkers.

      Delete
  8. As a kid, I always kicked off one sock in the middle of the night - we joked they got lost in the "sea" at the end of the bed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've inspired me to go pull out my cranberry tea! That sounds perfect right about now :) Thanks for linking up with us today!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea of getting tulips this time of year as a reminder that spring is coming! And yes to all the slippers and blankets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter will come downstairs in bare feet and I'll be like, "Where are your slippers child???"

      Delete
  11. I'm all about blankets, too! I have a comfy too that I love to wear! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many cozy things I love too!! I will have to try and join more of these link-ups this year. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. cranberry tea sounds so good. Thanks for linking up with Not Just A Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cranberry tea is so good! Our family might be a little addicted :) Thank you for being one of the hosts.

      Delete
  14. I love tulips! Those snowflake sheets are pretty. I don't think I could ever sleep in flannel sheets. I'm just too hot-natured.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have on a sweater and thick socks, spend most of my day under a blanket and definitely drink something hot every day (today it was a chai). You nailed coziness on the head - and so funny because I hate to be cold, so I think I'd die in Canada and even need to implement some of your warm tricks here. I think we've talked about it before, but I need to start warming up the feet of my bed before I get in - sometimes I can't fall asleep for FOREVER because my feet are too cold!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This post just made me feel warm and cozy reading it. Also, as I start reading, I immediately see the picture of slippers. I think to myself "wow, my feet are cold" (I am permanently barefoot) and as I glance down, I realize that my slippers are RIGHT NEXT TO my feet under the dining room table. I had purposely left my slippers under the table because the only time my bare feet are cold is when I sit for a long time at my computer. Now they are on my feet. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)