Monday, October 28, 2019

A Harry Potter Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon

If you've been reading here for any length of time, or if you follow me on Instagram, then you already know that about four times a year, I participate in a readathon. This past weekend was Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon where people read for as much as they can for 24 hours. The first time I ever participated in this readathon, I read for 23 and a half of the 24 hours. You can read my first post about that experience here. Since then, I participate as much as I can but life also happens. As does sleep.

So here's how the readathon played out for me this time.
I had my books ready to go. I like displaying my books in a clump rather than a stack because they're easier to see that way.
Ever since I started doing readathons, my family has been joining me more and more. They get really excited about the snacks. I was trying to tone things down this readathon but I'm not sure I succeeded. Ha!
 
I started with The Immortalists. One of the blog posts from the readathon encouraged people to sort their books into Harry Potter houses. You can read more about that here.

Here's a basic breakdown though (categories quoted from the website):

Slytherin – (my house!) values ambition, cunning and resourcefulness
books I would sort into it: The Winner’s Curse series, Ninth House, The Cruel Prince (and the whole series)

Ravenclaw – values intelligence, knowledge, and wit.
books I would sort into it: Strange The Dreamer, The Raven Cycle, The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle

Hufflepuff – values hard work, dedication, patience, loyalty, and fair play.
books I would sort into it: With the Fire On High, Anne of Green Gables, Since You’ve Been Gone

Gryffindor – values bravery, daring, nerve, and chivalry.
books I would sort into it: The Hunger Games, Graceling, The Hate U Give

I thought this was a very unique way to describe books so I'm putting The Immortalists into Slytherin. If you've read this book, let me know if you agree.
I was highly distracted during the first five hours of the readathon because I'd received notice earlier in the week of a Hamilton pre-sale happening the day of the readathon!!! I waited in a virtual waiting room (in which people were sorted in random order) from 10:00am on. I was 17,125th in line and I really didn't think I would get tickets. However, at 12:55pm, I got two tickets on my preferred date. I am sooooo excited!!!
Rachel read to Bluey (in "fish language") for a bit and both kids joined in, reading on the couch.

I was exhausted so I actually had a nap for an hour in the afternoon. I don't know that I've ever napped during a readathon before -- unless you count in the middle of the night! After that, I declared it was time to get outside for a bit.
We had a leaf fight and then read and walked around the block.
 
I started Dopesick: Dealers, Doctors and the Drug Company that Addicted America. I would definitely put this book in Ravenclaw. It was very interesting but I had a hard time keeping all the facts straight. In retrospect, I don't know that this was the best book to read for a readathon. I really should have read it more slowly. Also, this book made me terrified for my kids. I'd like to think the prevalence of hard drugs is an American problem, but I know it's not.
Rachel really wanted me to read some Harry Potter out loud to her. We're currently reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. I would put this book in Gryffindor :)
I started Case Histories as I crawled into bed. I was really tired but I hoped it would keep me going for a few more hours. And it did. I haven't finished this book but thus far, I would put it into Ravenclaw.
And this is my final readathon photo. I read two whole books and a good chunk of Case Histories.

And I've really enjoyed thinking about how I would sort my books. What have you read lately and what house would you put it in??? And if you've read any of these books, do you agree with my categories?

5 comments:

  1. I'm always so amazed that you do this! That shot of the three of you walking in the leaves and reading is awesome. Congratulations on the Hamilton tickets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with all of the dance performances- so exciting! I am so jealous about your Hamilton tickets- can't wait to read all about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Thankfully the bulk of this particular season of dance will be over in less than two weeks. And I'm STILL excited about Hamilton :)

      Delete
  3. That's so interesting you put "The Immortalists" into Slytherin. I would have made it Ravenclaw (the all-foreseeing knowledge of death is great power) or Gryffindor (being brave despite knowing your pending death). Agreed that Dopesick is definitely Ravenclaw. It's a very clever way to sort books and I like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the readathons!!! So much fun knowing that a thousand other people are doing the exact same thing. And that picture of you guys walking and reading is GREAT! I know I keep saying this, but your family is so FUN!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)