Wednesday, October 09, 2019

Book Review: The Residence

The Residence: Inside the Private World of the White House 
image from here

I put this book on hold not knowing if I would like it or not. I started it while waiting for Rachel at dance. Then I came home, got the kids to bed as quickly as possible, and snuggled in. I almost finished this book that night. I think, especially if you are an American, then this book is a must read.

Kate Andersen Brower interviewed over fifty people who worked at the White House -- but they don't/didn't do the typical work you think of when the White House comes to mind. These are the people who keep the residence going and their job is to serve the First Family. In this book we hear from chefs, housekeepers, butlers, doormen, electricians, florists, and many others.

I found it fascinating the peek they give into the First Families -- from Kennedy to Johnson to Nixon to Ford to Regan to Bush to Clinton to Bush again, ending with the Obamas. I loved hearing how different families impacted the White House -- from the Kennedys and their toddlers to the Fords and their teenagers to the senior Bushes and their grandparent-ly ways.

Through their words you could tell which families the workers loved to serve and which ones they... didn't. And the kindness of the First Families to the workers doesn't necessarily end when the family leaves office. One former First Lady spoke at a funeral of one of the workers. Another worker still receives Christmas cards and e-mails.

The devotion of the workers to their jobs was either incredible (or unbelievable). They sacrificed family vacations, birthdays, and even marriages in their devotion to the White House. I found it both amazing and sad.

I also found it sad when workers described the events around Kennedy's assassination, Nixon's sudden resignation, September 11, and the revelation of the Clinton-Lewinsky affair. These unknown people really had/have a front row seat to history, but a seat that is relatively unknown or heard from.

This book was such a unique perspective and a fascinating journey through recent American history. I highly recommend it.

10 comments:

  1. Going right now to see if my library has this - this sort of thing is so interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAHOO - they got it - I'm reading it today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's on my list. I had another White House book on my list for awhile, "Upstairs at the White House", same sort of idea, but the only copy in Toronto is at the Reference Library and you can't check it out, so never mind, I'll read this one instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My library only has an e-copy so I can't read it. Boo :( But JB West, who wrote that book, is one of the workers in this book. He was an usher from 1941-1957 and the Chief Usher from 1957-1969.

      Delete
  4. Going to see where I can find it ASAP! Definitely sounds fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was shocked by how much I enjoyed this book!! Definitely gave me a new perspective and was just downright fascinating!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might have to check this one out.
    I really loved Let Me Finish by Chris Christie on his road to supporting Trump and becoming his right hand man. He said Trump has his family around him all the time...almost to the point of being annoying. I found it endearing. He and Trump later went separate ways though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so excited to read this book! I just have to get through all the ones I current have out (which includes The New Jim Crow... the book I literally cannot finish) and then I can move onto this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read either this book or one by another White House staffer who had worked for many different Administrations. Really, really interesting! Now I have to figure out if it was this one or not. Not sure if I had my Goodreads account yet when I read whatever book it was.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)