Monday, November 20, 2023

Hello Monday! : A (Mostly) Quiet Weekend

I'm joining in with "Hello Monday" with Holly, who blogs at Pink Lady, and Sarah, who blogs at Sunshine And Books to talk about my weekend. It was a quieter weekend, but I am savouring every one of those we have as our weekends are about to get a lot fuller very soon.

 

I got home on Friday and did not feel inspired to cook. So Rachel and I menu planned and made a grocery list. Then Dave went shopping and brought home grocery store sushi for him, Sam, and me. Rachel made herself Kraft Dinner for supper as she hates sushi and was still looking for soft-ish things to eat, post-braces application.

I crawled into bed and read for awhile before falling asleep. This is my preferred method of how to spend a Friday night! I woke up way too early on Saturday morning (6:15) so I read in the living room until everyone else woke up.
After Dave and the kids left for badminton, Religious School, and errands, I decided to fold all the laundry early on in the weekend, rather than leaving this to my Sunday night task. Then, because I was feeling really grumpy, I went out and did some of the last of the fall yard work -- I raked one last time, got rid of all the fall planters, and did some general tidying. Now, I guess, we're ready for snow. If we have to be...
I had smoked Balderson cheddar on a toasted English muffin with quince chutney for breakfast/lunch, I guess "brunch" really! Hahaha! And I read. Then I had a nap while the rest of my family came home/ate lunch/got ready for the afternoon.
Dave and I took Rachel to dance and then we walked to Starbucks and got our first holiday beverages, and cups (!!!), of the season. I had a caramel creme brulee. It was pretty good. I haven't settled on my favourite holiday drink because I don't love peppermint or strong coffee tastes.
I was still grumpy on Saturday afternoon so I had some downtime, made squash soup with Sam's help, and then read until bedtime. Some days are just a little "blah" and Saturday was one of those days for me.
I woke up at a much more reasonable time on Sunday (shortly before 8am) and kept reading the book I'd started the night before. Everyone woke up really slowly so we decided to skip church and just have a quiet morning at home. I read for about three hours, Rachel made pancakes, Sam slept, and Dave did... stuff, I guess!
In the afternoon we had a birthday party to attend so Sam and I walked to the party while Dave took Rachel to a bit of dance. They joined us at the party later. Below is what getting pictures with a teenager is like...

The party included lunch (which was really good), a pinata (it was the birthday kid's 9th birthday), and celebrating with good friends.

At the end of an afternoon of celebrating, we were all worn out so we changed our supper plans to frozen pizza, and I crawled into bed early to keep reading my book.

It was a mostly quiet weekend and I'm thankful for lots of rest and reading time. Next weekend will definitely not be so quiet so I'm enjoying the peacefulness while I can :)

6 comments:

  1. What a cozy weekend! Saturday was blah here too so I napped to get out of my funk ;) Love that you did Starbucks during dance

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been disappointed in the holiday drinks since they got rid of salted caramel mochas and now this year they don't have toasted white mochas either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We raked leaves too, but not for the last time, still lots of leaves up on our oak trees. What a nice peaceful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband spent most of yesterday mulching leaves and blowing them off the yard too; we *might* get some snow this week so we wanted to be prepared just in case. I read my book and took a nap while he did that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a Peppermint coffee person either. BLEH...
    I love me some grocery store sushi LOL... it works perfectly for a fast lunch for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The starbucks cups are so fun this year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)