Friday, April 17, 2020

Back To Work Learnings

I was going to publish this post on the last day of school before March Break, which was March 13th. But then, as with everyone else, that's when all the Covid-19 craziness hit and I just didn't have the brain space for it. As of now, our schools are closed until May 4th, at least, and I am officially "unemployed." I don't have a permanent position so I won't be paid until the schools open again. (And honestly, a lot of people are thinking that won't be until September at the earliest so that's... great. (sarcasm font)). Anyways, I want to remember my "back to work" learnings so with this caveat, I am publishing it mostly as it was written before all this hit.

At 3:20 today we will all (well, Sam, Rachel, and I) be on March Break and I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!! In honour of having a week off, I thought I would share some of my "back to work" learnings. This post was inspired by my blog friend, Bekah, who is just finishing up a short stint of working outside the home again. You can find her post here.

1) I like bringing in some of our family's income.

While we are definitely fine with just Dave's income (we have food to eat, we don't have to worry about losing our house, etc), my income allows us to do the "fun things." I was having a conversation with my hairdresser on Saturday and she said her husband called her income "the difference maker" and I LOVE that. If I'm earning income it makes life a little bit easier. And I really like that.

(Edited to add: This has been one of the harder things about not being able to work (and not being paid) during this time.)

2) Working outside the home is HARD.

It has been a big adjustment for all of us. I was home full-time for three and a half months and had mostly worked from home for three years before that. I could easily take a few minutes to do some dishes, run a quick errand, or switch over some laundry. Now I don't have as much time at home and I miss it.

(Edited to add: After almost four weeks of solely being at home, I don't miss it anymore. Ha!)

3) I have to remember that it's not "all up to me."

Sam and Rachel are capable people and I need to let them take over some tasks. So what if things aren't done "as well." Who says that my definition of "well" is the one that counts? (I'm still learning how to let go of this one.)

4) I like being around people.

As someone who worked mostly from home, I haven't had a lot of adult interaction during the day these past few years, except through e-mails and the occasional phone call. I really love my days when I get to work with a second secretary and I have someone to talk with, and learn from, all day long. That said, I miss the long-term relationships I could build with regular co-workers. Being at a new school almost every day (two days at the same school is a gift, longer is fairly rare), I'm always the new person which can be hard.

(Edited to add: This has been another hard thing about this time. I miss interaction with other adults.)

5) I like being organized.

Surprise, surprise :) I have worked at a couple of schools where the person I'm filling in for is messy or very disorganized and it takes all my willpower to not tidy up and organize things. I find I'm more stressed when I have to work in someone else's cluttered space.

6) It's fun to "hold lightly" to my work.

I never bring work stress home. When I'm in a school for just a day, I don't carry any of the problems home with me. They're not my problems to worry about. It's a pretty sweet space to be.

7) Laundry NEVER ends. Nor does grocery shopping.

Those household tasks I had time to complete during the day before -- yeah, they're not happening well. By the time I get home and cook supper, I'm done. 

8) I miss my friends.

Previously I had a lot of time during the day to connect with my friends -- both those of you I've met online and some IRL friends who also had flexible schedules. My social life has gone done the tubes and it makes me sad.

9) I like having to "dress for work."

I've been able to invest in some "work clothes" which just weren't necessary when I was working from home. I like being able to differentiate between "work wear" and "regular wear." This may seem a little shallow but I like having something to dress for again.

10) I absolutely couldn't do this without my village.

I have a great group of people who are so willing to help out with picking up the kids, and who are completely understanding when I am less available these days. Whether it's sending me an e-mail or text to ask how it's going, to cheering me on from the sidelines, I really could not do this without my village of people.

So there is a smattering of thoughts on working (practically full-time) outside the home again.

(Edited to add: I trust that when this Covid-19 stuff all ends, I will be able to do my job again. I haven't been let go -- there just isn't anything for me to do right now.)

5 comments:

  1. "The Difference Maker." I like that! I have enjoyed being home during this time, for sure, but I do miss making as much of a difference as I had been! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sad all this slowed down for you just as you were getting adjusted and finding your groove. It was like a trial run ha. But hopefully it will start back up and you'll enjoy it even more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m really glad you still published this because it means even more now with quarantine notes in. Like some things you like (outside social interaction) you miss even more now. And some things you did miss (being home), you don’t anymore! I think it’ll make you appreciate it all the more when you do go back. Also I’m crazy organized and the idea of working in someone’s untidy space would drive me bonkers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post really resonated with me Natasha- I am feeling you girl- I pray your kids like ours will be able to return in September- I know you still have hope for this school year so I will hope the same for you! Such a scary time but feel lifted up by my fellow bloggers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt so much reassurance reading everyone's WUW posts and realizing we really are all in this together. No one is spared although the reality may look a little different for each of us.

      Thank you for your prayers for a return to school. They are very appreciated.

      Delete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)