Wednesday, July 05, 2023

Currently: July 2023

It's the first Wednesday of July which means it's time to link up with Jennifer at Overflowing With Thankfulness for her "Currently" post. You can find Jennifer here. As of this past Friday afternoon, I am on summer break for the next seven weeks so I am celebrating and loving and savouring this summer life! Yesterday was a glorious mix of getting a few household things done (laundry, cleaning off my desk, and dealing with vegetables in our fridge) and just doing whatever the heck I wanted (blog reading and doing a puzzle). It was beautiful and I'm looking forward to another few days of the same before we head off on our summer vacation.

[loving]

My cousins came to visit us from out of province and we all went to a baseball game. While the game itself was not great (blah, get it together Blue Jays!), the family time was really fun! And it continued the next day with a gathering at my aunt's house. I am loving all this extended family time.

Also, Rachel and I weeded her flower bed and I am loving gardening with her. She has worked so hard to take care of this bed and is really invested in it.

[savouring]

 

I'm savouring summer break! I love these lazy days with no plans. I like being "a little productive" and "a little relaxed."

[celebrating]

For the eighth year in a row, we were celebrating the first day of summer break with our strawberries and ice cream breakfast. Sometimes we have this the day after school ends, sometimes we do it on my first day of summer break (which comes a few days later), but we always kick off summer break with this and it's a favourite celebration of ours! 

[remembering]

I'm remembering how much we loved our elementary school. Rachel had her last day there last week and now this school won't be as immediate a part of our lives anymore. It was a lovely place for the kids to spend the bulk of their school careers and we made such great friends here. 

[trying]

I'm trying to not feel stressed about "doing all the things" because I have a whole summer to catch up and everything doesn't have to happen this week. After letting a lot of things slide (errands, house chores, organizing, cleaning) in June as we finished up school and work, I really want to catch up on everything immediately but I'm trying to remember to slow down and enjoy the days and to just chip away at things gradually. Otherwise, I'll exhaust myself and be really grumpy.

Before: Disaster of a desk; After: A clean desk!
 
Stages of a puzzle

Evening at the pool

So that's the "we're on summer break" edition of "Currently." Since our break just started, we're soaking it all up and getting ready for a whole summer of fun and relaxation. Except for Dave, who still has to work. Ooops :)

11 comments:

  1. Ahh congrats on summer break! Love your strawberries and ice cream breakfast tradition- can't wait to follow along with your summer traditions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for summer break! Oh my goodness, seeing your picture by the pool- is there anything better than an ice cream sandwich after you've swum?! I think not! I know what you mean about letting things fall behind while working- I recently felt the same way when my full time job phased out at the end of May. I felt like I had so much to catch up on all at one time! I know you'll get around to getting it all done in your own time. For now, relax and enjoy! Thanks for joining us today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice to have cousins visit and no better way to celebrate than a baseball game! It's America's favorite pasttime, afterall! :) Strawberries and ice cream for breakfast sounds amazing! What a fun tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love the strawberries and ice cream breakfast tradition! How fun! I've been hoping to get to some baseball games this summer but so far we haven't managed it. Enjoy the rest of your break!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Summer is off to a great start by you. Have a great rest of your summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like an AMAZING start to summer break! All your pictures are so colorful and fantastic. I love the ice cream and strawberries breakfast tradition, sounds delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray for all the summer fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for summer break and all the fun stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't have a break but I am trying to enjoy Summer. Lots of pool time and events with friends and family.

    Lauren @ www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love what you wrote about "trying"! Beautiful flowerbed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)