Thursday, April 14, 2022

The Rest Of My March Reading

Oh March. Clearly reading wasn't a priority in March and I have very few books to share with you. I'm sorry -- I'll try to read more in April. (Spoiler Alert: Thus far, I am not reading much more in April. Boo.)

Going There

I picked this book up the night we got home from New York and stayed up way too late reading it. I enjoyed Couric's honesty and willingness to be open, but I also realized that she is a privileged, rich woman and so I found I couldn't relate to many of her stories. I guess I should have realized that she was rich but it just really struck me while reading this book. However, I did really appreciate her willingness to put it all out there and reflect honestly on how she didn't have to be aware of the many things going on around her because of her privilege.

The Becoming (The Dragon Heart Legacy, #2)

Oh Nora -- you always come through with a comfort read that has a slight twist. Yes, this book was predictable. Yes, it was exactly what I needed :) I will never rate these highly in a review but I will always read them!

What We Don't Talk About When We Talk About Fat

This was our book club book for March and I struggled with it. Gordon is a super obese woman and writes openly about the struggles of living in a world that isn't built for large people. I struggled with her assertion that weight is mainly about genetics and I realized that I have prejudices towards super obese people. However (and this isn't justifying), I was shocked by some of the ways in which Gordon (and other obese people) are treated and by things which people say. Body size is definitely an area where I need to do some more reading to confront my prejudices and realize that being a more regular size ("straight size" as Gordon refers to it) is a privilege and allows me to move through the world with ease.

So there are my very lengthy thoughts on the three books I read the last half of March. I didn't read a lot but two of them did give me a lot to think about.

6 comments:

  1. Completely agree on Katie Couric's book for sure- at times I thought she was pushy and definitely sacrificed family responsibilities for her career but did enjoy reading how she rose to the top

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last one sounds interesting and eye opening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of that last one...an interesting premise for a book! I cannot imagine, especially in our unfiltered world, what she probably encounters from people who don't even know her. Heartbreaking to even consider!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought we had such interesting discussion on our book! I like that we had different reactions to it and it gave us a lot to talk about. April is going slow for me because I'm re-reading (really skim reading so not even counting as a full re-read) some of my favorite recent rom-coms! Our work book club is meeting on Black Cake on Monday and my boss today literally said 'this is the best book I've ever read!' I am pumped to talk about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I am going to have to read that last book... though I doubt I will find it all that shocking how mean people can be. But I do take objection to those that claim it's all genetic based. Having known a few obese people I can see that it is not all genetics.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)