Monday, February 14, 2022

Not Just A Mom: A Day In The Life

It's the second Monday of the month which means it's time to link up with the Not Just A Mom bloggers. This month the topic is "a day in the life." I decided to document this past Friday and I apologize that it's a little boring. What with working full-time and Covid restrictions, this is my life these days -- a little boring.

Also, I didn't mean to not blog for a week but last week was my first week since before the holidays where I worked all five days. I was tired. I think my lung, while doing so much better, just makes me exhausted these days. And now on with Friday...

I woke up at 5:30am. I washed my face, brushed my teeth, got coffee going, and as is my habit these days, checked to see how Canada did in the Olympics overnight. Yay -- we're in fourth place medal wise! The winter Olympics are so much more fun than the summer ones for Canadians :)

My favourite part of every morning is picking my mug. Yes, these are all mine. I collect them as souvenirs. This day I was missing fun baseball experiences so I chose the mug I got when we went to see the Jays' Triple A team play and enjoyed a mascot brunch as well. It was 5:55am when I took this picture.

I realized it was going to be a full morning in the kitchen so I decided to get my lunch together early. I had leftovers, grapes, and yogurt and my first cup of coffee-hot chocolate ready to go by 6:02am. I did some blog reading and had a shower and got ready for the day.

At 7:23am I was eating half a bagel with marmalade and finishing off my coffee-hot chocolate. Yep, it was still the first mug. I take a long time to drink it and have to heat it up in the microwave usually. I think I also got a load of laundry going during this time.

By 7:30am I was ready to leave the house. I added a winter jacket to this ensemble. And I had to brush off the car. Boo. How many more days until spring?!?!?!

It was a snowy drive to work and I captured this photo at a stop light. It takes me about fifteen minutes to drive to work. I start work at 8am. I am a second secretary at an elementary school. I take attendance, deal with office supplies, do a lot of filing, and deal with whatever else comes up during the day. I drink a travel mug of coffee-hot chocolate throughout the morning as I work.

At 9:50am I ate a cereal bar. One of the staff was handing these out before the staff meeting a few days earlier and I hadn't eaten mine yet.

I like to take my lunch later although this day I didn't take it until 1, which is later than I usually take it. I ate leftovers and then had my grapes and yogurt. We got a last-minute task assigned which meant I cut my lunch short to get the task completed before the weekend. I had to photocopy a bunch of things and go to some classrooms to hand out the papers. I don't usually get to walk around the school so much!

I talked to Dave while I drove home and then made myself a snack of cheese and crackers. Dave and I sorted out some insurance stuff and then I went to my mom and dad's to hang out. Lately on Fridays, Sam has started walking home from school and playing football with friends at the park. He gets out of school by 2:50 and when he hadn't come home yet at 5:15, and wasn't responding to texts, I jumped in the car to go and find him.
 
He was safe, and very wet and cold, just having a lot of fun. I drove him home and he wanted a hot shower before coming to my mom and dad's.

Mom and Dad have been cooking supper for us about once a week. They had a special Friday night supper planned with hors d'oeuvres and prosecco ahead of time. We enjoyed a delicious supper of Earl Grey Tea salmon and Hasselblad potatoes and steamed veggies. We ate around 6.
For dessert, Mom pulled out fresh fruit and chocolate! YUM!!! What a treat!
We spent the rest of the evening watching the Olympics and I think we went home and I went to bed around 8:30. I read for a little bit and fell asleep around 9:30. Did I mention I've been tired lately?!?!?!

As I mentioned above, I'm joining in with the Not Just A Mom bloggers. You can find them at their blogs, listed below. Thank you to Adrienne, Dara, Jen, Joanne, Lauren, and Sarah for hosting this fun link up. Next time I blog a "day in the life," I'll try to pick a more exciting day :)

13 comments:

  1. Sounds like a busy day and hope you got some rest this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great day in the life! I'm curious; do you mix 1/2 coffee and 1/2 hot chocolate? I have never acquired a taste for coffee but that sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coffee hot chocolate sounds good! Enjoyed reading your day in the life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely way to finish off the week with special food made by your parents! Spring is on its way (not today mind you, but soon!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. The day of a school secretary is always busy! I am so thankful for everyone who works in the office at my school and my kids’ schools. You keep that place moving! How fun to have dinner with your parents so regularly. And how nice that you didn’t have to think about cooking. I bet you love the Winter Olympics as a Canadian. They have been so fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I imagine the Winter Olympics are significantly more fun for Canadians! I'd love to see a day in the life of a school secretary-- I bet that's fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a wonderful memory building experience for everyone to eat dinner at your parents every Friday night. I would really like someone to cook dinner for me, even once a month. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a productive day- loved reading about your son- I would be kinda freaking out- ha! So sweet that you are getting such QT with your parents too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good day! I am having so much fun watching the olympics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many mugs!! A fun collection -

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never heard of earl grey salmon! That sounds so interesting to me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a jammed packed day! Love how you spend time with your folks :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)