Friday, January 03, 2014

What Would Emily Post Do?

When we got married, almost five and a half years ago, not all our wedding guests gave us gifts. And that was fine. So imagine our surprise, when at the beginning of November, one of our wedding guests e-mailed us and said, "I've put money in your account. Go to the Waterloo Potter's Workshop Sale and buy yourself some pottery from me as a wedding gift." We said, "Okay."

The Waterloo Potter's Workshop is a cooperative of potters in Waterloo and surrounding area. Every Spring and Fall they get together and sell their work at a big sale. There were about 65 different potters at this one.
Rather than trying to take the kids into a room with about a zillion things to break, we went on a date so we could shop in peace. It was a lot of fun and this is what we ended up with.
 
We bought this lovely serving bowl...
 
... and this platter.
We got them both in shades of blue to match our dishes, which we received as wedding gifts. Then Dave found a mug he really liked and so I looked for one for me. After much deliberation I ended up getting this funky cup and two mini-vases.
I've been drinking orange juice out of my cup each morning and can't wait for Spring so I can find some flowers in our yard for my vases.

So here's my question for you all... Normally you have about six months after your wedding to send out thank you cards, right? When you get a wedding gift this long after your wedding, how long do you have to send out the thank you card???

And is there anyone else who would really like to give us a belated wedding gift? Attendance at our wedding is not a prerequisite :)

ps. we've already done the thank you card for this gift because we're like Emily Post that way.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so crazy about thank you cards - I have to write them within a week. {I never left the couch during wedding thank you season - and I had SERIOUS hand cramps.} Kudos to your friend for a fun down-the-road present! That's SWEET!!! And I am in love with what you picked. Blue rocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really bad at wedding thank you cards for about five months after our wedding because I was dealing with extreme tiredness and morning sickness. But as soon as I was feeling better it was one of the first projects I tackled. Kudos to you for getting them done so soon!

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of this pottery sale! It looks really neat!

    I love that you're still getting wedding gifts 5 years later! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely have to check out the sale if you're in to pottery. It's pretty amazing!

      Delete
  3. Oh, how pretty!!! I love the blue! We used to have a pottery company in our town. I always loved browsing there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so behind on thank-you notes (not from our wedding--thankfully)! It would be nice to re-register for our tenth anniversary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure. I really enjoy Emily Post though. We checked one of her books out from the library and it had some really funny stories in it. : )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)