Monday, April 01, 2013

It Was A Good Friday

I'm a little behind on blogging because we've had an action packed weekend. Between Easter, Sam's birthday and my mom and dad being here, plus a very long nap yesterday afternoon to recuperate, I haven't made time to blog. (A blog friend, unintentionally, by what she wrote, challenged me to stop and think about whether I am actually "busy" or if I'm just "not making time" for things. Very interesting to think about.) So today I'm catching up and we're going back to Friday.

Friday morning Mom, Dad and I went to the Good Friday service. While we were in Edmonton we didn't really connect with a church so I hadn't been to a Good Friday service in about five years. And I must say, I just love the one at Waterloo North. Six teenage girls and one boy did a dramatic reading of the Good Friday scriptures (Luke 22 and 23) and we sang songs which added to the readings. I was so impressed with how well the youth did and I was almost in tears by the end.

Then for the rest of the day, we did something completely different. That afternoon we got to take Mom and Dad to tour our new house! That was very exciting and we've come up with lots of plans and ideas for painting, and other small changes to make.

The sun was shining that afternoon so Dave and I shoveled the big snowbank off our drive. My job was chipping the ice and I bruised my palm on my right hand because I was bracing the ice chipper against it. It still hurts. I've learned my lesson for next time. But the driveway is completely clear!
Sam helped to shovel and then he "joined in" (in the loosest sense of the phrase!) on the massive street hockey game going on. He mostly sat on the sidelines and waited for the ball to come to him. You can see him in the lower right hand corner in the picture on the right. There were a lot of people so it was probably pretty overwhelming. I was glad that some of the people made an effort to at least try and get him the ball though. Sam said he had a good time.
After the outside time we dyed Easter Eggs. We were not brave enough to try this while Rachel was awake so we did this during her nap time.
 
    
 
After we were finished dyeing the eggs, Sam and I threw the extra dye into the snow to make patterns. It was really pretty. I love the fact that Dave got pictures of the dye leaving the cups! And in the picture on the right, that's yellow dye, not something else :)
 
And our finished Easter Eggs were so pretty! They all got used up in potato salad the next day so it's a good thing we made so many!
That evening, Mom and Dad went to a concert and Dave and I got ready for Sam's birthday the next day, but that's another post so stay tuned! I hope you all had a Good Friday too.

3 comments:

  1. I love how you all threw the dye on the snow. How pretty! Sam looks like he really enjoyed playing street hockey. I bet that was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did that before one year and it's a fun way to enjoy snow that decides it needs to stick around until Easter :) And Sam was a little overwhelmed by the crowd of street hockey players but he sure didn't want to leave!

      Delete
  2. Awww, it does sound like a good day. I feel terrible I haven't tried dyeing eggs in a long time. I know Evan would love it. We don't eat a lot of eggs so I hate to "waste" them, but you idea of making potato salad with them was a good idea. I love that brightly colored table cloth...that wasn't a Target find, was it? And yes, that was a great way to make use of the leftover snow by coloring it with the dye. So fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)