Monday, February 14, 2011

Adventures in California

Dave here, finally getting a chance to post about my week. I have been in Newport Beach, California, attending a conference on medicine and virtual reality (MMVR). I presented a paper on my research, gave a demo of the training system I've been working on, and got to meet a number of researchers from Canada, the U.S., and the U.K. If you're feeling curious, you can check out video clips of the system. If you're feeling really adventerous, let me know and I can send you the paper :) Unfortunately, an academic conference doesn't really provide lots of good photo ops, so you'll have to make do with some photos from the hotel I was staying at.

Here is a shot of the hotel room -- my bed was supplied with a ridiculous number of pillows.

The central patio and pool area. Unfortunately, I left my swimsuit in Edmonton (I'm still not entirely sure where it is...) and so I didn't get a chance to do any outdoor swimming in February.
The view over the golf course behind the hotel, out towards the beach.

The same view, focusing on the bay and sunset in the background.

After the conference wrapped up on Saturday, I got picked up by my uncle Mark, and then spent Saturday and Sunday with Mark, Jeannie and my cousin Dan. We had a very laid-back visit, and enjoyed some excellent Thai food.

I am now back in snowy Edmonton, and getting ready to jump into another week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)