Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Brain Dump

Well, I'm sitting here at 6:36 and realizing I haven't written a blog post for this week. So this is going to be a brain dump/life lately kind of post. Hopefully it makes some sort of sense :)

Last week, my current job, which was supposed to go until October 9th, and had previously been extended by one week, got extended until December 18th! Yes, I will be working full-time until December 18th, which is both awesome and intimidating. I am working at the school board main office so I go into work every day. I miss being in the schools but love having consistent work.

This means that Dave and I have basically switched lives -- I'm the one heading out of the house every morning and he's the one getting the kids off to school and then working from home. Last week he got to experience the joy of working from home with a sick kid. There are some things about our role reversal that I don't really mind :)

I'm hoping and praying (and crossing all my fingers and toes and wishing upon stars) that this weekend we are Covid test free. Yep, every weekend for the past three weekends, one (or more) of us have been getting Covid tests or waiting on results or waiting to get tested. Thankfully, they have all come back negative but I'm done now...

My "big" dilemma these days is that I want to schedule our Fall family photos but I don't really want to get haircuts. Will everybody's Christmas cards have the "2020 lack of haircut" look or is it just our family? Also, normally I don't write a Christmas letter, but I'm wondering if I have to write a Christmas "note" to explain the 2020 hair? Or will everyone just automatically know? Yes, these are the thoughts occupying my brain space these days...

I'm worship leading on Sunday at church. Due to some miscommunication, I was up at 5:30 this morning putting the finishing touches on the service. Now my focus will be on figuring out how to write up the scripture in such a way that Sam and Rachel can share the reading of it together on Sunday. I guess I do have a bit more on my mind than haircuts and photos!

I'm so thrilled that the Tampa Bay Rays and the LA Dodgers won their respective series. I can't wait to watch some World Series baseball. However, I wish some of the games would start a little earlier. This is totally Eastern Standard Time centrality, and I completely recognize that, but I want to watch baseball and still get to bed in a timely matter. For those of you who don't hang on every moment of baseball, all the World Series games start at 8pm EST which means they might be over by 10:30 or 11pm at the earliest... Ugh. I want to watch baseball and go to bed early.

Speaking of baseball, Sam has his last two games of baseball for Fall on Thursday and Friday this week. Last night his coaches asked the kids to send their "walk up music" requests. Yep, Sam will have personalized walk up music for his last at bats and I am so here for it!!! (He picked "Natural" by Imagine Dragons.)

I had my first meeting of a new book club last night. It was with some very dear blog friends and it was so much better than I imagined it might be. Blogging has brought so much good to my life and I really do appreciate each and every one of you who reads here. 2020 has been such a hard year in so many ways but the fact that it has normalized connecting over Zoom with friends near and far is such a gift. I miss hanging out in person with my friends who live nearby but I love that I can hang out on Zoom with friends in another country.

Okay, that's my random brain dump for today. If you made it this far, I applaud you. Come back on Friday for my photo heavy Fall challenge post.

9 comments:

  1. That is so cool that Sam gets walk up music. Imagine Dragons is always a good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad your work got extended, how great.
    I think 2020's cards will all be self explanatory (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate the brain dump - I wouldn't worry about the haircuts, you'll remember it as the year that we all stayed home and that's fine, I'm sure no one will really notice. I used to write a Christmas letter but now I just put my blog address on the card itself, they can read about us there if they don't already. We gave up on baseball after the Jays were out. Good luck with leading worship. I am still tuning into our services at home, which is great, not sure when I'll return in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love if all my family would read our blog because they'd always know what's going on with us!

      Delete
  4. Yep, the Dodgers beat our Atlanta Braves. If they would have made it to the world series, I may have watched a game. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that our new book club got a shout out! I made us a graphic ha. I think it'll be funny if you don't cut your hair so it's whether you want a '2020'/funny card or a nice one... I am NOT happy Tampa Bay is in the World Series!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just curious - do you have to get covid tests for work? Or is someone not feeling good?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray for our book club!!! I haven't even scheduled pictures yet. I'm less worried about my hair and more wondering if people will understand the Quarantine 20 pounds?? Hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adam and I were just talking about the struggles of Eastern Standard Time. For us, it's football. The games that start at 8pm are just insane; there's no way we'll stay up to watch it all. We aren't 20 anymore! I love the East Coast but I wish I could be East Coast with Pacific Standard Time TV programming.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)