Tuesday, March 03, 2020

One Sentence A Day: February 2020

Welcome to One Sentence A Day for February. Once again I'm linking up with Rebecca Jo and friends.

Also, in re-reading this post, I realize I should clarify something. We don't have a TV, nor do we subscribe to Netflix (or anything else like that). However, our friends have kindly given us their password so we can live stream sports, which we mostly use to watch baseball but also, about twice a year, things like the SuperBowl or NBA playoffs when the Toronto Raptors are playing :)

1 - Saturday -- It was glorious to have most of the day at home, getting things done.

2 - Sunday -- After a full morning/early afternoon of church and errands, a nap on the couch and watching the Super Bowl was just what the doctor ordered.

3 - Monday -- We may not have a TV but that doesn't mean that the whole family didn't spend an hour falling down the funny kid and funny pet videos rabbit hole on YouTube this evening :)

4 - Tuesday -- I was picketing this day, in support of students' education in our province, and I walked over 17,000 steps or 12.5 kilometres (almost 8 miles) while on strike. (Second sentence: If you want to read more about what is happening in our province with regards to education, I wrote about it here.)

5 - Wednesday -- Dave got quite sick today, which is rare, and threw our whole family for a loop :(

6 - Thursday -- The kids and I figured out a "strike day" schedule and it worked quite well this day.

7 - Friday -- I was more tired than I'd been in a looooong time this day.

8 - Saturday -- Unfortunately, I was sick this day so spent most of the day in bed.

9 - Sunday -- Church, neighbourhood skating party, doing groceries, baking banana muffins -- phew, it was a full day!

10 - Monday -- This day was defined by all the snow shoveling I did.

11 - Tuesday -- I had to work this morning, even though there were no kids at school.

12 - Wednesday -- Sam and Rachel supported their teachers with cookies and a sign this day.

13 - Thursday -- Sam didn't want to send out Valentine's cards this year which made me sad but, at his impetus, we did spend the evening together baking cookies for his class party -- a new era :)

14 - Friday -- After a romantic dinner at McDonald's (hahaha!!!), we set off on the first stage of our weekend road trip.

15 - Saturday -- We enjoyed delicious bagels, skating on the Rideau Canal, and a yummy supper with Dave's aunt and uncle.

16 - Sunday -- Sadly, the stomach flu shortened our road trip and made for an... interesting... six hour drive home.

17 - Monday -- An unexpected day at home meant we got a lot of rest and relaxation and we got some household things done as well.

18 - Tuesday --Today was another day defined by shoveling all the snow.

19 - Wednesday -- I thought I would work my first librarian shift this day but instead I got pulled in as a last minute secretary.

20 - Thursday -- Instead of taking Rachel to dance, we all ended up at the optometrist's office for an emergency eye exam for me after some weird symptoms appeared suddenly. (Second sentence: Everything is okay but we were affirmed in making a visit.)

21 - Friday -- All four teachers' unions in our province were on a one day strike today so I picketed with about 10,000 other people in our city square.

22 - Saturday -- BASEBALL IS BAAAAACCCCKKKKK!!!

23 - Sunday -- After a full weekend, we snuggled on the couch to watch some baseball, and some of us napped.

24 - Monday -- My lunch today was very crunchy and loud to eat :)

25 - Tuesday -- We ate all the pancakes today for Pancake Tuesday!

26 - Wednesday -- Dave, Rachel, and I spent the evening shoveling snow.

27 - Thursday -- After shoveling snow for the third time in 24 hours, I was over it.

28 - Friday -- This was the craziest, and longest, day of work I've experienced in my job thus far so I collapsed in bed at 7:00PM.

29 - Saturday -- We really enjoyed our neighbourhood trivia, potluck, and movie night.

9 comments:

  1. Emergency eye issues??? OH MY WORD - that's scary!
    it seems that teachers everywhere are picketing & going on strike - ours did last year & its still a big issue this year.... love the kids support with their signs too!
    UGHHH - the stomach flu - keep it far away
    Yep... I can go watch ONE video on YouTube & find 3 hours magically disappear

    ReplyDelete
  2. Y'all are just the cutest family. :) And I do NOT envy all the snow shoveling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry that the stomach bug cut short your vacation.. and that you had eye troubles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Thankfully both things are much better now :)

      Delete
  4. Ohh...I love this one sentence a week post -- so fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy, after all that sickness I bet you are pleased that February is over! Hope all is well with your eye, always important to see an expert as soon as possible when something changes.
    How large are class sizes over there? Here in the UK, in state schools the numbers are usually around 30 but much smaller in independent private schools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the high schools are still fighting for a 22:1 ratio and I don't know what the elementary schools are at. I think the main issue is that almost all the behavioural needs are now in the "regular" classes and there is no extra support so there might be a handful of students in each class who have daily freakouts and that's a lot for one teacher to handle.

      Delete
  6. As a sadly retired librarian, I am interested in your reference to working in the library then being pulled out to be school secretary. Hmmm. I sometimes had to cover classes, but thankfully, not often.

    Snow!! I love it but have never had to shovel it much. I imagine you are quite ready for spring! Hope it is not long in coming your way.

    I like your son's idea of baking cookies as an alternative to giving valentines. I guess they all reach 'that age'. Bittersweet for us mommies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My new job allows me to be a secretary or a librarian. When I saw that the secretary job was open at a school I was supposed to be at, I asked the principal what they would prefer me to do. The principal asked if I could do the secretary position instead, which I was fine with. I did do a library shift at that same school the next day which was fun!

      We had another HUGE dump of snow this morning which appeared to catch a lot of people off guard so I am more than ready for Spring now :)

      Yes, my son's change of Valentines plans was both bitter and sweet. I'm not very good with change.

      Delete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)