Monday, December 30, 2019

Favorite Books Read This Year #AMonthofFaves

I'm so behind on blogging right now. I still need to catch up on reading a bunch of the posts for the #AMonthofFaves linkup but first, I'm going to try and get my last two posts for this written. Today, we're talking about our favourite books from the year. For those of you who have spent any time around here (or who follow me on Instagram), you know that it's always hard for me to pick favourite books. I LOVE THEM ALL!!! Most of the time :)

As always, all my images are from Goodreads (unless otherwise noted) and I don't get commission if you click on them :)

Here is my list of For Fun Fiction Books I Think Everyone Should Read.
The Flight Girls
I really enjoyed The Flight Girls by Noelle Salazar. It tells the story of women who trained to be pilots within the US, during World War II. It was a bit of a love story, a lot of a sad story, and introduced me to yet another facet of the war I didn't know about.

Where the Forest Meets the Stars
I think I've written about Where The Forest Meets the Stars at least three times before and will likely write about it again until you've all read it. It's worth it and my friend Emily, whose opinion regarding books I trust, also liked it so if you don't take my word for it, take hers!

the Lemon Sisters - Target Exclusive
The Lemon Sisters by Jill Shalvis was just the perfect book for me at the time. I think I read it this past summer and I needed a book just like this. It's a book about two sisters who switch lives for a little bit and I loved it.

The Lost Girls of Paris
Pam Jenoff is best known for The Orphan's Tale but I think she should also be known for this gem, The Lost Girls of Paris. I loved this book more than I liked The Orphan's Tale. Read this one. Then come back and tell me why you love it! Ha!

The Girl He Used to Know
There was just something about this book which I loved which is why it is ending this list. Either Annika Rose was so well written, or the story was so engaging, and the ending surprised me (although it shouldn't have). It just sticks out as a book I think more people should read.

This next list of books I am titling Books You Should Read If You Are Similar To Me. How's that for a category?!?!
Evvie Drake Starts Over
I loved Evvie Drake Starts Over because there is baseball. There is love. There is a woman trying to figure out who she is. Plus, as I was reading this, I was doing some transcription work for a friend, and yes, that's in this book as well. It was the perfect book for me at that particular time. And it still might be perfect.

The Bookish Life of Nina Hill
If I could move into a book it might be The Bookish Life of Nina Hill. I loved Nina. I want her job. I want her books. I devoured this book and maybe you will too. Or maybe it's just me. But this book had to be on here somewhere. I rarely buy books but I might have to make an exception for this one so I can read it over and over again.

The Flatshare
Two people share an apartment and, through living there together, fall in love. The Flatshare could have been written about Dave and I except we lived at our house at the same time, not like ships passing in the night. There were just so many (too many) things about this story which resonated with me and took me right back to the beginning of our relationship.

The Library Book
I love libraries. I love books. Put them together and you get The Library Book which I LOVED! It's the story of the Los Angeles library, particularly the fire at the library in 1986, but also the library's history. Parts of this book made me cry which should be a recommendation in and of itself!

The Overdue Life of Amy Byler
I don't know if it's because The Overdue Life of Amy Byler is about a librarian or because it mostly takes place in New York City, but I LOVED this book too. Plus this title is one of the best titles I've ever seen.

This category is called Non-Fiction Which I Couldn't Put Down.
The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of 9/11
I've read lots of books about September 11th and I'd heard a lot about how good this book was. The Only Plane in the Sky lived up to all the hype. It was a hard book to read but I appreciate how much research the author did and how he put a new spin on this day.

The Threat: How the FBI Protects America in the Age of Terror and Trump
I found The Threat really interesting and engaging. I want to talk with someone about it. A friend who lives in The States said she might find this "too realistic to enjoy" and I get that. I read it as an outsider looking in on the current realities of the US, not as someone having to live within that reality every day. So take that as you will.

The Residence: Inside the Private World of the White House
I unexpectedly loved The Residence so much that I wrote a review of it. You can read it here.

Bad Feminist
After wanting to read this book for a number of years, I finally read Bad Feminist. And now I am wondering why I waited so long to read it. I loved it. I love Gay's writing and I want to read more of her work.

Code Girls: The Untold Story of the American Women Code Breakers Who Helped Win World War II
Code Girls was another one of those hidden gems I just couldn't put down. I also wrote a book review of it which you can read here. And then go get this book because these are stories which should be known.

The Bookshop on the CornerThe Cafe by the Sea (Summer Seaside Kitchen, #1)Meet Me at the Cupcake Café (At the Cupcake Café, #1)
I would say my new favourite author this year is Jenny Colgan. Her books sometimes take me a bit to get into but then I can't put them down. And since she writes about plucky women who start over, I just adore her characters. And all her books are set in Great Britain which I also love.

Have I inspired you to pick up any of these books? Do I have any books on here you couldn't stand? What's one book that you love but you think might only appeal to you because of your specific interests??? Tell me below.

Again, I'm linking up with #AMonthofFaves, the blog party hosted by Kim and Tanya at GirlXOXO (link here) and T of Traveling With T (link here).

7 comments:

  1. You have so many good ones here! I also loved The Only Plane and Evvie Drake. Where The Forest Meets the Stars gets rave reviews- I need to add it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely pick up Where the Forest Meets the Stars. It's well worth it.

      Delete
  2. Loved so many of these---Only Plane, Flatshare, Library Book---and now you have me wanting to read Lost Girls. Thank you for sharing your favs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have The Overdue Life of Amy Byler in my Kindle and need to get to it, and now need to add your other bookish book :) The Bookish Life of Nina Hill to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend all the bookish books you can get. I LOVE them!!!

      Delete
  4. I loved your 'if you're like me' category - I definitely fit in there and have read some of the ones you listed (hello Nina!) and look forward to trying some new ones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many books I’ve read and loved in this list! Where the Forest Meets the Stars is the book I recommend to EVERYONE. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)