Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving: Part 2

So Kitchener-Waterloo has a really huge German population. In fact, before WW I, Kitchener was called "Berlin." It got changed to "Kitchener" during the war but the strong German heritage remains. Therefore, we have a really big Oktoberfest celebration. So on Thanksgiving Monday morning we have the KW Oktoberfest parade. Today's parade was even more fun for me because Sam had so much fun. He waved at everyone and yelled "Happy Thanksgiving!" a lot. It was so cute :)
There are a lot of pictures but for me the highlights were watching the Oktoberfest 5km runners (maybe I'll sign up to do it next year?!?!), seeing all the food collected for the food bank, the square-dancing tractors, seeing a 22-person bike and having a fire safety trailer break down in front of us until it was rescued by a square-dancing tractor :) Plus hanging out with Tim, Janice, Tessa and Willem and some of their friends and eating a chocolate croissant.










After the parade we went to Tim and Janice's and had Thanksgiving dinner and spent the afternoon with them. Dinner was really good and the afternoon was a lot of fun. We also got to have some more in depth conversations which I really appreciated. I love that our kids play so well together and that Tessa and Willem are so patient with playing with Sam and Rachel. (And I probably say that every single time we get together with them!) And I ended up getting a new necklace too! Willem's school is selling jewelry as a fundraiser so I was thrilled to buy a necklace and support his school at the same time.

So that was our celebratory, fun and food-filled Thanksgiving weekend. It was one of the best weekends I've had in a long time. And now today it's back to reality -- doing laundry, watching my friend's 11 month old, and picking up our CSA. And depending on how the kids are doing, it may include some time with a lot of garlic... Tune in on Thursday to read all about it!

4 comments:

  1. That really does look like a great parade! Square dancing tractors? I think I need a video. Haha! Oh and another language tutorial. I think I've been reading Kitchener wrong as Kit-chay-ner. Is that right or is it Kitchen-er? The phonetic spelling on Wikipedia didn't help me because it used one of those strange characters. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sherry, now you have me wondering. I was reading it as Kitch-ner. That's how we do things in OK. ha!

      Delete
  2. Glad you had such a great Thanksgiving!!! The parade looks like a lot of fun! I love it when the the kids really get into it like Sam did. It just makes it special. What are some of your favorite Thankgiving foods?

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason that I cannot figure out, blogger is not sharing my post written this morning for pregnancy and infant loss awareness day. Sigh. It doesn't appear on anyone's sidebar as a recent post. I cannot figure out why this post so dear to my heart would be "blocked" by blogger. I figured you would want to see it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)