It's Wednesday so I'm linking up with Joyce at From This Side Of the Pond for the Weekly Hodgepodge. Find Joyce here.
1. August 19th is National Aviation Day...do you like to fly? Last time you were on an airplane? The date is chosen in honor of the history and development of aviation, and celebrated on the birthday of Orville Wright. Have you ever been to the Kitty Hawk area of North Carolina? The city of Dayton in Ohio (their birthplace)
We are a flying family. We love to travel and my parents live three provinces away so, yes, we have to fly. I really like flying -- it usually means something exciting is about to happen -- like seeing my parents or exploring somewhere new. We have not been to either Kitty Hawk or Dayton but we're wanting to do an Ohio road trip at some point (to see the Guardians and the Reds play) so we should add visiting Dayton to that list!
The last time I was on a plane was just under two weeks ago when I flew home, with Sam, from Saskatchewan, where we were visiting my parents.
left: arriving in Saskatchewan during canola season; right: sunset over Saskatchewan as we left. The wheat was starting to ripen and it was gorgeous!
2. In what area of your life do you tend to 'wing it'? Is this an area you should be winging?
Well, this week we haven't gone grocery shopping yet so we've been winging meals. Maybe we shouldn't be, but we have a lot of food in our house so we've just gotten creative! I think it's fine to "wing it" a bit for meals in summer because Rachel and I are both home with very few plans. During the school (work) year though, not knowing what we're eating for supper stresses me out!
3. A favorite book, song, or movie that relates to flight in some way?
I've always loved "Top Gun" (the original one) and a favourite book about flight is Wings by Danielle Steel, even thought I haven't read that one in ages. It's about a woman who flies a lot in the 1930s and 1940s.
4. Soft serve, gelato, sherbet, frozen yogurt, or good old fashioned ice cream...what's your pleasure? Your favorite flavor? How often do you indulge?
I just love regular old ice cream. I don't know if I have a favourite flavour but I do love checking out the unique flavours at our favourite ice cream shop. I really loved their May 2025 feature flavour of grapefruit orange blossom. When I was a kid I loved coffee ice cream but I rarely find it these days.
5. I never get tired of______________________.
Reading. It's a rare time when I don't want to read. I also rarely get tired of travelling or going to baseball games!
Throwback picture of me reading when I was about seven or eight!
6. Insert your own random thought here.
I have a lot I want to get done today. We have produce in our fridge I'm going to turn into soups and freeze for a busy fall night when none of us want to cook, I want to finish weeding the day lily bed under the laundry line, Rachel has an appointment this afternoon, and I have a ton of laundry to fold. I guess it's time to stop blogging and go be productive. Sometimes I wish I could snap my fingers and have all the chores be done, complete with that feeling of accomplishment, without having to do the actual work. However, I really appreciate that I'm still on summer break and actually have time to do all these things.
And with those very random thoughts, I'm signing off. After all, those weeds won't pull themselves! Ha! Happy Wednesday!

I love coffee ice cream too, especially with chocolate syrup or hot fudge. I find it occasionally but not often. We may be the only two fans!
ReplyDeleteI have never been on a plane and I really don't like the idea of flying but I think if I had someone to visit I might get over my fear. Good on the kids for their solo flying adventures.
ReplyDeleteI always like to have a meal plan and knowing what we are going to eat, we don't always stick to it but having an idea helps.
I remember having coffee ice cream years ago but it doesn't seem to be a thing anymore which is a real shame.
I hope you have a productive day. Making the soups sound like a great idea.
You can also stop in and visit me when you come to Ohio! I'll take you to all the great Dayton spots!
ReplyDeleteMy mother-in-law used to make a coffee punch for parties and it had ice cream in it -- I remember liking it and I'm not even a coffee drinker!
ReplyDeleteYes you are a flying family! I enjoyed reading about your families exploits and wow, even flying lessons. Our next flight is in September when we will fly to Northern Indiana for a great grand-daughter's 2nd birthday. We much prefer to drive but a 3 hour flight is more appealing for a short trip than 17 hours on the road.
ReplyDeleteI've had a busy day here as well and have done a bit of cooking to get a head start on company coming this weekend. I like to do what I can ahead of time so I can relax with our guests. We have several neighbors who are pilots and some have their own planes now in retirement. A flying lesson would not be on my list, but it sounds like you enjoyed it a lot. That grapefruit orange blossom ice cream sounds delicious!
ReplyDelete