Monday, August 17, 2026

Savouring August (Friday Favourite Moments)

So can I be honest here for a moment? I've been a bit of a grumpypants for the past few months. It seems that Dave and I sailed through the renovation process with very few hiccups, but this post-renovation process (unpacking, settling in, cleaning -- oh, the cleaning) has pushed me over the edge and I've been frustrated and irritated. So I decided I needed to change my attitude and I am bringing back my "Friday favourite moments." I think we are all happier when we notice the good things in life, whether they be major things or small things. If I'm looking for something good every day, I know it changes my mindset.

In my Hodgepodge post a few weeks ago, I shared a quote from Kate Bowler about appreciating the good in August, rather than just rushing through to September. So for the past week, and for the rest of this month, my "Friday Favourite Moments" posts are going to focus on one (or two!) thing I've done every day to "savour August." Then in September, I'm going to try and get back to writing weekly favourite moment posts to help me focus more on gratitude, rather than all the minor irritations that pop up.

 1) Time to read

Sam and I arrived home from Saskatchewan at 3:45am. I was exhausted but didn't sleep well. So that afternoon, I sat in the sun, on our deck, drinking water, and reading a book. I did very little else and it was so lovely to not feel like I had to do anything.

 2) Outdoor movie at the farm

When Tessa invited us out to their farm to watch Mamma Mia! on the side of the barn, we were all in! I loved watching the sun set over the corn field and dancing along to Mamma Mia! It was so much fun!!! 

3) Homemade ice cream sandwiches

Rachel asked if she could bake chocolate chip cookies and then we made homemade ice cream sandwiches and ate them under the solar lights. They were soooo good!
 
4) Evening in uptown
We all walked uptown to help our friend label books for the Little Free Diverse Library project she has been running since 2020. She was inspired by someone in Washington, DC to start this. She has a big book drive every June (Pride month and her birthday month) so we were helping to label the books for the various libraries. Then we caught a bit of a concert in our square and picked up Starbucks for the walk home.
 
5) Peaches and ice cream and flowers  
I picked up a lovely bouquet of flowers at CSA and Dave and I enjoyed fresh peaches on ice cream after supper.
 
6) Visits with friends 
I didn't take a picture while we were visiting, but a friend who I hadn't connected with in awhile came over and we sat on our deck and talked for over two hours! I've reconnected with quite a few friends this summer and it's been so good.
 
7) Fresh corn on the cob and Uptown Night Market 
We got corn on the cob from CSA and it was delicious! Then Rachel, Dave, and I walked uptown to the library to check out the weekly Night Market. We ran into a few people we knew and visited. We also sampled some food and played cornhole for a bit. It was a really fun evening!
 
So that's how I  "savoured August" this past week. It really has helped change my outlook this past week and Dave said it's helped him appreciate this last bit of summer more. Let's see if I can keep the momentum going once I'm back at work next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)