Friday, August 21, 2026

Savouring August (Friday Favourite Moments)

I'm writing this post on our deck while three loads of laundry are drying on the line, I'm drinking a cold Coke, and Rachel is deep cleaning our car. Life is really good right now!!! Here are the ways I savoured August this past week. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, go read this post here where I explain what I'm trying to do this month.)

1) Sunset Session in downtown
 
Our local business association hosts free outdoor concerts each Friday night in the summer. There are always two acts and the acts are a surprise until they start playing. It's called Sunset Session and I've always wanted to go to one. My family had agreed to come check it out with me and then the kids decided they were too tired. So Dave and I went on our own. One act was an indie punk rock group and the other was a solo artist who does Afrobeats. Neither of them was a concert I would have intentionally decided to attend but Dave and I had so much fun!!! Part of it was how random the music was! We really enjoyed the music, even if it was outside of our preferred genres, and it was a fun, unexpected, date night.

2) Starbucks with the girls
 
Rachel invited her best friend over for a sleepover on Saturday night. We walked uptown to get Starbucks, inspired by the Unicorn Frappe, and I had a lot of fun talking with them.
  

3) Sunday with our best friends
 
Sam headed off to camp again on Sunday and our best friends' kids gave him a ride up. He had to be at their house at 7:15. So we hung out with Tim and Janice and enjoyed tea together. Then we made a plan to meet up for the afternoon. We played disc golf, watched the inaugural Worlds Pairs Disc Golf championship, ordered pizza together, and ended the evening with a really fun game! It was just an organic, hanging out, day and we loved it!
 

4) Time for yard work

I really love doing yard work but it can't be too hot, or too dry (too hard to weed), and I have to have good energy. I especially love having time to do yard work on a Monday morning when I don't have to wake up early!

Left: our front yard tree on Saturday; right: our front yard tree on Monday morning.
So much better!
 
5) CSA salad
 
I invented a random salad a few years ago to make when it's bean season for our CSA. I boil the beans (then cool them down) and then add tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado (if we have them), feta cheese, and balsamic vinagarette. It's so good and such a great way to use up a lot of beans. This past week, there was basil at CSA so I threw that in too and it was delicious!!!

6) More games!
 
On Sunday when we were playing games, Janice mentioned another game they had, and then invited us back to play it later in the week. So on Wednesday night, we ended up back at Tim & Janice's playing Blank Slate. It was really fun!

7) Drive-in movie

Our neighbour mentioned a drive-in theatre in a city not far from us so last night we went out for supper, wandered along the riverside, watched planes take off and land at a small airport, and then saw Spiderman:  Brand New Day. It was really fun!!! Although we did discover that it's hard to watch a driveiin movie from the back of our car!

 
As you can see, sometimes we go and have an experience to savour August and sometimes it's just noticing the little joys at home. This intentionality has really helped me change my mindset about this month. Here's hoping I can keep it up next week when I'm back at work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)