Tuesday, April 02, 2024

Sawgrass? Saskatchewan? Who Can Tell?

Today we're back at work after an incredibly fun, but full, four day Easter weekend. I'll be telling you about that in a few days (probably) but first, I want to tell you about the last day of our March Break trip. We got off the cruise ship this day and our flight wasn't until late in the evening. So we rented a car and went on an Everglades tour.

The Everglades are a unique feature of Florida and we had never been to them so I wanted to take advantage of being so near. We went to Sawgrass Recreation Park which was about a half hour drive from Fort Lauderdale.

The water lilies were plentiful and beautiful.
I loved looking into the waterways, which is what I thought our airboat would be following.
Right off, we spotted an alligator. Can you see it? We ended up seeing four on this tour which was pretty cool because alligator sightings are not guaranteed.
With the flat, and the reflection of the clouds on the water, I was reminded of Saskatchewan! Yes, I'm always looking for Saskatchewan in places I go :)
If you take away the water, and the alligators, it's basically a Saskatchewan wheat field. Hahaha!
Remember when I said I thought we'd be following the waterways? Yeah, no. Our airboat operator just drove wherever he felt like. This is going through some of the long grass. Once we had gone over it, it just popped back up -- you couldn't tell where we had been.
Rachel enjoying the scenery.
The rest of us had a more traditional lunch but Dave ate gator tacos. Then Rachel held one. An alligator, not a taco :) She loved that the alligator guide had the alligator waving for the camera while she was holding it.
Then Dave held the alligator! I was happy to be the photographer :)
 
And that was the end of our March Break adventure. We had such a good trip and I'm so glad we got to see the unique landscape of the Florida Everglades too!

5 comments:

  1. What a fun way to end your trip! Very cool

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did a tour like that once as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love exploring the Everglades.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun! I've been wanting to get to the Everglades too but we haven't made it down there yet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)