Wednesday, February 03, 2021

Currently: February 2021

It's time for "Currently" with Anne at in residence. You can find her blog here. This month we're talking about what we're "loving, reading, remembering, sharing, and wishlisting."

[loving]

Dave received a fuzzy blanket from his previous workplace in a care package. We all love it and race to get to it first. Every week our grocery store has a free item you get if you spend a certain amount on groceries. Well, this past week, the free item was a fuzzy blanket. After much discussion, we bought one and got a free one. Now Sam and Rachel each have their own fuzzy blankets and I get to use Dave's. And Dave uses his at night when I've gone to bed! Hahaha!!! So I'm loving this picture of the kids in their fuzzy blankets. If they're at home, they're basically wrapped up in these things all the time.

[reading]


I am so excited because I am on planning on reading ALL THE BOOKS this weekend during the 24in48 Readathon. If you've never heard of it before, it's a readathon which goes from 12:00am on Saturday to 11:59pm on Sunday and you read for 24 out of the 48 hours. I love this readathon and am so excited to spend all weekend reading. The books on my Kobo are Felix Ever After by Karen Callender, How to Be an Anti-Racist by Ibram X. Kendi, So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo, and I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou. I am trying to be really diverse in my reading and acknowledge that this readathon is happening during Black History Month. Normally, during a 24in48 readathon, I read ten to twelve books throughout the weekend.

[remembering]

 

My Instagram friend Erin (you can find her here) posted about a monthly photo wall. (You can read her blog post about it here.) She prints out one picture a month for their wall and it helps remind them of the good times. I wanted to buy some decorations for Valentine's Day and I found this cute heart string at Dollarama. And the hearts all have paperclips on the back. Coincidentally, there are twelve hearts. I remembered Erin's photo wall and Voila! Our own, super simple (not at all classy!) photo wall was born. We still need to print out pictures for November, December and this January, but this will hang in our dining room for awhile and be a reminder of family fun.

[sharing]

 

I shared the chocolate cake recipe I made all the time when I was a kid with Rachel and she now wants to make a chocolate cake every day! Plus, Sam wants to learn how to make it too!

And if you were reading around here in January, you know that I've been sharing my love of tulips all month. And I will continue to share my love for them into February. For those of you who are new, tulips are cheap at our grocery stores in January and February so I buy a lot of them to remind me that spring is eventually coming.

[wishlisting]

Puzzle-Songbirds

image from here

A local small business which I found out about thanks to Covid, posts their products on Instagram. I saw this bird puzzle and immediately wanted it. But it sold out in the fifteen minutes between when they posted it and when I went to buy it. So I asked them to add my name to the wait list for when they're able to get it back in stock. I never used to be a puzzle person but we've enjoyed them this quarantine and this one reminds me of spring.

Update: I got a call yesterday afternoon that the puzzle was available for me to pick up!!! So now I'm wishing for some time to go get it and to do it :)

Also, today our province is supposed to announce if our kids are going back to school anytime soon, so if I can add "PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send our kids back to school immediately" to my wish list, consider it at the top.

Also, in no particular order I'd love a massage, someone to clean my home office, a trip to anywhere, spring to arrive early, and an end to Covid. That's not all too much to ask, is it?!?

36 comments:

  1. I've also been eyeing up tulips lately, and honestly dreaming of spring. Okay, I really want to know which of the two books you would recommend to read first, How to be Anti-Racist or So You Want to Talk About Race. Hit me.

    bosbodaciousblog.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I'll get them both read this weekend so you might have to wait awhile! I think So You Want To Talk About Race is shorter so based on that alone, you might want to start with that one.

      Delete
  2. That chocolate cake sounds amazing- we fight over fuzzy blankets over here too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten how fluffy and light the chocolate cake was. I wouldn't be sad if one of the kids made it again soon :)

      Delete
  3. I hope you get your wishes! 10 books in a weekend is a lot. I can't seem to read for that long without falling asleep! I know I read a lot, but over the whole month, not over the weekend. You have some great choices though, I loved Felix Ever After!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm waiting with bated breath to hear the Province's announcement today, but I'm not feeling positive.
    I remember reading that Maya Angelou book, so lovely, and sad. And tell me what you think about Africville; I am familiar with that place being from Nova Scotia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am feeling hopeful about the return to school but maybe I'm just setting myself up for disappointment...

      I'll be doing a recap of my readathon books next week so check back then!

      Delete
  5. Tulips are my FAVORITE! It's our anniversary tomorrow, and my wedding bouquet was 100% tulips, so I always use that as an excuse to buy a lot of them this time of year too :)

    This read-a-thon sounds amazing - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing better than a cozy blanket! I have never heard of this reading-thon! How cool!! Reading 10-12 books sound amazing!! Good job, good luck, and have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such great stuff--just reading this makes me happy! I, too, LOVE tulips. A top fave, for sure. And I've never heard of the 24/48!! Goodluck and enjoy! How to be an Anti-Racist is one I chose to take slow, intentionally--so very much to digest + think about. Will be good to sink your teeth in and get a solid start. And I love Rachel's apron! Have a happy, cake-filled February!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how much of "How To Be An Anti-Racist" I will get through but I think giving myself a couple of hours to get into it will help. I've been taking notes on some of these books as I read them and that helps me digest them more fully.

      Delete
  8. Such great books on your list! I love that puzzle, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea for a monthly photo wall! I'm terrible about hanging family photos, and I bet that would help inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those blankets sound fabulous! Good luck with your readathon. I am impressed with how many books you can read in 24 hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blankets have been well-used while the kids have been doing online school this past week. I read quite quickly so I love getting a lot of books read over these readathon weekends.

      Delete
  11. Those tulips are gorgeous! I am adding them to my list! Lol. And there is nothing better than a fuzzy blanket in the winter. :)

    I love that monthly photo wall, what a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend tulips during the winter months!!!

      Delete
  12. I love a good cozy blanket!! And good luck with the readathon. I don't know that I could read that much in one weekend, but I do plan on reading a lot. :)

    Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love nothing more than an entire weekend to read but it really is a bit of a reading marathon and I'm exhausted by the end. Happy, but so tired!

      Delete
  13. Love the blankets! Wow, you can read fast. I'm impressed!!I love to read but I am so slow. That bird puzzle looks so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do read quite quickly and love nothing more than having an entire weekend to read!

      Delete
  14. Super cute puzzle...and I really think I need a fuzzy blanket! I'd probably spend half my day wrapped in one of those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We spend way more than half our days wrapped in blankets :) Hahahahaha!!!

      Delete
  15. Your photo wall is cute, and those fuzzy blankets looks cozy and warm.
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was fun to find photos for the wall.

      Delete
  16. Hi Natasha, popping over after seeing your comment on my blog. Love that bird puzzle! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to put it together!

      Delete
  17. We fight over fuzzy blankets too! And your wish list sounds perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope you've gotten good news about the kids going back to school. I have been asked to substitute in an elementary school but I am a little hesitant. Would love to make some money but not at the cost of getting sick.
    Your tulips are lovely. And indeed a promise that spring will return. We are having such gloriously warm days but I am afraid winter will return any minute.
    Rachel is getting so grown up. That cakes looks outstanding. PC's birthday is around the corner so need to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE that puzzle but I would buy it as a print! My grandma was named Ruby but everyone called her "Chirp" because she loved birds so much and I always think of her. She was a music teacher so the music notes even make it more like her. I wonder if I could buy it as a puzzle and then make it into a picture? Or if they would sell the original print as a digital copy? I'm so intrigued!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an adorable photo of the kids in their blankets. I hope you all got good news on the school front, because being with their friends will give them comfort and bring smiles to their faces as well. Happy February!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my gosh the bird puzzle - yes please!!! And chocolate cake every day sounds like living the best life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I let my kids make chocolate cake every day, we would be living our best life!!!

      Delete
  22. I adore fuzzy blankets!! And I'm excited you get to have a readathon. You are always my hero for those! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is a super cute puzzle! Glad you got your hands on one. I love the monthly wall photos. I've thought about doing something like that. We have a family member that has a set of frames that are each labeled with a different month and at the end of each month she put a new pic for that month, which I thought that was a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  24. They look so cozy in their fuzzy blankets! The 24 in 48 reading challenge sounds awesome! I hope you enjoyed it and got a lot of reading done!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)