Wednesday, February 10, 2021

#24in48 Readathon: What I Read

This past weekend was the #24in48 Readathon. Since I read nine books, I thought I would dedicate a whole blog post just to those books. I LOVE having a whole weekend just to read, although by the end of the weekend I am exhausted. I think it feels a lot like the endurance of a marathon might (she says, having never run a marathon!). By hour 21 I just want to be D.O.N.E and "there's still three hours left to read but I can't stop now because I'm so close" and then I hit 24 hours and I'm like, "What?!?!? That's it?!?!? I'm done?!?!!?! It went so fast."

Anyway, I am reviewing the books I read this past weekend in the order I read them.

 Felix Ever After

First up was Felix Ever After. This was one of the group reads of the readathon and I'm so glad I was introduced to this book. It's a YA story of love, discovery, and betrayal. It made me cry and it made me laugh and it was heartbreaking and heartwarming. And it made me think about how I would parent if one of my kids is transgender. It was interesting to read a YA book and relate more to the parent. Not that I agreed with the parent, but I could understand his feelings.

Well-Read Black Girl: Finding Our Stories, Discovering Ourselves

I was going to intersperse essays from Well Read Black Girl: Finding Our Stories, Discovering Ourselves throughout the day on Saturday but I ended up devouring this book in two gulps. I loved reading the essays in this book and, from the books and authors these women wrote about, I definitely added to my reading list. Also, the white privilege of always reading stories about people who looked like me during my childhood was very apparent to me as I read this book.

The Room on Rue Amelie

I hadn't read a World War II book in quite awhile (maybe living through a global pandemic I decided I didn't need more stress in my reading???) but I picked up The Room on Rue Amelie and actually enjoyed it. Although, there is one scene where parents have to leave their 13 year old Jewish daughter behind which broke my heart (again, I can easily imagine this in real life with my half-Jewish kids). However, that wasn't the main focus of the book and so I thought it was pretty good. The ending felt a little rushed which took away some of my enjoyment of the book.

Between the World and Me

The next book I read was Between the World and Me. This is a short book, basically Coates' thoughts on being black in America as written in a letter to his son. One thing which made me sad is how things haven't changed for Black people in America (and I'm guessing the situation is similar in Canada). When will we learn? How can we do better?

You Can't Touch My Hair: And Other Things I Still Have to Explain

The next book, I'd gotten about halfway through before the readathon started but finished during the readathon. You Can't Touch My Hair: And Other Things I Still Have to Explain by Phoebe Robinson is funny, touching, rage-inducing, and irreverent. But it contains some hard truths which I, as a white person, needed to hear. I especially loved the way it ended with letters to Robinson's niece, giving her advice as she grows up and navigates this world.

Africville

I don't know how I found out about the next book. It took me a while to get into Africville but once the story caught hold of me, I couldn't put it down and ended up staying way later than I had intended to finish it. This story starts in Nova Scotia (one of Canada's provinces), moves to Montreal, then down to the US and ends up back in Nova Scotia. It weaves together the story of three generations plus a few other stories. This felt like a very Canadian book in that I didn't feel like there was a lot of hope (I often feel Canadian novels are bleak), and the spread out nature of the family contributed to the story telling.

Hollowpox: The Hunt for Morrigan Crow

This next book is supposed to be fiction, and fantasy, no less. Hollowpox: The Hunt For Morrigan Crow is about a pandemic, characters having to be quarantined, talk of storming the government, prejudice towards the characters accused of spreading the disease, events needing to be cancelled, and yeah, it all felt a little too real. I wasn't able to set aside that this was fiction written before the pandemic we are currently living through. It felt like real life. I kept stopping and asking, "Seriously?!?" because I couldn't believe what was happening in the story -- because it didn't feel like fiction. I think for me, this book would have been more enjoyable if I had read it before Covid or well after life has gotten back to normal. I was still somewhat sucked into the storytelling but I was very distracted by the pandemic in the book.

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (Maya Angelou's Autobiography, #1)

I started reading I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings back in June but never finished it before I had to return it. I decided to read it during this readathon, and was surprised at how close I'd gotten to finishing it the first time. However, it was good to re-read it and remind myself of Angelou's powerful storytelling. If you haven't read this book yet, you should. It's incredible storytelling will draw you in and Angelou paints vibrant pictures with her words.

Wedding Cake Crumble (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #10)

I ended the readathon by reading about two-thirds of Wedding Cake Crumble from the Cupcake Bakery Mystery series by Jenn McKinlay. I love the characters in this series and these books are a fun, light read which make me want to eat a lot of cupcakes! Since McKinlay includes recipes at the back of her books, I might make some of the delicious sounding cupcakes at some point. Plus, I can never figure out who the murderer is so her books keep me guessing.

I started my reading at 6am on Saturday morning (I just couldn't stay up until midnight on Friday night to kick off the readathon with a couple of hours of reading like I usually do) and finished my 24 hours by about 9:15pm on Sunday night. Then I did a few tasks I'd been ignoring all weekend, crawled into bed, and finished Wedding Cake Crumble before I fell asleep.

The 24in48 readathon is one of my favourite ways to spend a weekend. It's a way to take some "me time" and just sink into a pile of good books for a few days, knowing I will have few interruptions. This time around, Sam read "with" me in that, if he was awake, he was reading in his room. I barely saw him all weekend! As always, a HUGE shout out to Dave who parents on his own during these weekends.

(Also, this review replaces my mid-February book review so come back at the beginning of March to see what I read during the rest of February.)

15 comments:

  1. Looks like even more great books-thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read many of these over the past year! I also related to the father in Felix Ever After. I did not know that Hollowpox is so similar to real life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. More books added to my list, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I'm sad I didn't get to Desmond Cole's book.

      Delete
  4. I just don't know how you have the mental capacity to read so many DEEP books in such a short time. I read a deep book and need a break after 45 minutes LOL. Very impressed! Also, highly encourage you to keep this format going!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You Can't Touch My Hair: And Other Things I Still Have to Explain sounds like a good book I am going to add that to my TBR
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! 9 books in 24 hours; that's fabulous! That cupcake series of books always make me want to bake up a few batches. They have such delicious combinations of flavors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to try one of her cupcake recipes sometime.

      Delete
  7. Woah, great job!! I'm not sure I could read for that many hours in a weekend. haha I loved Nevermoor - I have the second to read soon. Good to know about the third - that does sound a bit too true to life!!! I'm actually doing a giveaway for Well-Read Black Girl with beautiful painted edges in peach if you want to enter: www.instagram.com/laurenashleybecker

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really want to do this someday! Need Paige to be a little more self-sufficient, but I am always so jealous when you are doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's amazing you covered 9 books in 24 hours! Great job!
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read quite quickly so it was wonderful to have some concentrated reading time.

      Delete
  10. The Room on Rue Amelie sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)