Wednesday, May 27, 2020

What's Up Wednesday: May 2020

Welcome to What's Up Wednesday for May. For context, we're just finishing week eleven of quarantine and our province hasn't really opened up yet. Restaurants can do take out/delivery, small businesses can do curbside pickup, and we can't gather in groups of larger than five, outside of our immediate family. Parks just opened up this past weekend, although not playgrounds, and it doesn't look like we're going to be opening much further for a few weeks at least.
image from here

What we're eating this week... BBQ season has started and I am here for it! I love eating BBQ suppers at our outdoor table. We've also been eating a lot of Caesar salad recently. The kids love it!

What I'm reminiscing about... Last summer when we were able to do a big road trip to the Yukon and Alaska (you can read more about that trip starting here). I'm also reminiscing about spending lots of time at our neighbourhood pool. I really don't know yet what this summer will look like and I'm a little anxious about it.
 
 pool time
Yukon/Alaska road trip to visit friends

What I'm loving... Our yard. We've spent a lot of time planting annuals, weeding, and just generally trying to stay on top of it. I love spending time in our back yard, especially. And we're purchasing a few things to make it even more pleasant, assuming that we'll be spending even more time in it this summer.
One small thing we purchased was this outdoor mat and I LOVE how much it brightens up our back step. It's a small thing that makes me really happy!

What we've been up to... Besides all the yard work?!?! We've been up to continuing to settle into quarantine life. We're continuing to publish our family newspaper every week (you can read the latest edition here). The kids have been doing online learning (and will continue until the end of June). We've been biking more and just enjoying being outside more. Just over two weeks ago we woke up to snow and today the high is 29C (84F) so we're also getting used to the instant summer we've gotten. We basically went from snow and freezing to 20C (68F) in two days so it was a bit of a shock.

What I'm dreading... Our province just announced last week that we won't be going back to school this year and that overnight camps are cancelled. So right now I'm dreading another 13 weeks of being at home with not much to do. Please, please, please let our swimming pool open for the summer.

What I'm working on... I started playing around with pages on the blog last year sometime. I've finally updated (written!) the "Who We Are" page (everyone wrote their own introduction) and this past week, I updated the "Where We've Been" page and linked all of our travels. You can check out the "Who We Are" page here and the "Where We've Been" page here.

What I'm excited about... Ummm... Honestly, this is a hard one for me to answer right now. I'm not really excited about much of anything, except for maybe yard work! Ha! I'm also still excited about our family newspaper. I like seeing what the kids choose to write about and how they've been portraying this time of lock down.

And I'm excited that a couple of blog friends and I have had a couple of Zoom happy hours. Those have been really fun and definitely a highlight for me! And since right now we have to have virtual happy hours with our "in real life" friends, why not with our blog friends too?!

What I'm watching/reading... Rachel and I have been watching Disney Fairy Tale Weddings. It's been a nice, escapist thing to watch and Rachel and I enjoy seeing what each couple's surprise is. We've also been watching Disney+ nature documentaries which I find oddly intriguing.

I've been trying to read some of the library books I've had out since March 14th. I'm slowly working my way through them. I'm currently working on The Giver Of Stars by JoJo Moyes. I'm also reading a lot of books on my Kobo and I'm so thankful I purchased an e-reader when I did.

What I'm listening to... My family. This is what I hear All. Day. Long. I love them dearly but oh, do I want a break. Also, Rachel is currently trying to teach herself a Christmas hymn on the piano which is half amazing and half very annoying :)

What I'm wearing... I was trying to figure out something exciting I've been wearing lately and I couldn't think of anything new -- pjs, shorts, t-shirts, etc. However, I have been wearing my hat which I bought last summer, and I don't think I've showcased it on What's Up Wednesday, so here it is:
Even if I only get to go "on vacay" in our backyard this summer,
at least I have a great hat! 

What I'm doing this weekend... Same old, same old -- being outside if the weather is nice (reading or weeding some beds), watching Blue Jays Rewind on SportsNet, attending online church, and trying to enjoy another weekend of lockdown/isolation/quarantine/whatever we're supposed to call it.

What I'm looking forward to next month... NOTHING. Well, that's my honest answer. I guess I'm looking forward to finding out more details about what school openings might look like in September. Rachel turns 9 and Dave and I are celebrating marking our twelfth anniversary but I don't know what either of those will look like in quarantine. And I am looking forward to our CSA starting -- fresh local veggies all summer -- whooo hooo!!!

What else is new... Not much. Our province hasn't really opened up and it isn't looking like it's going to any time soon. We're still in waiting mode over here -- waiting for the library to open, waiting to get haircuts and massages, waiting for optometrist and dentist appointments, waiting to see our friends -- just waiting...

13 comments:

  1. I'm sorry your province hasn't opened much yet! I feel the same way about the upcoming summer and it's just hard not knowing what's going to happen in the fall as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will pray for school in the fall- right there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gotta start watching that Disney Wedding thing!!!
    Our pools aren't opening here. Just athletic pools... sorry - hopefully you're will be different

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're doing a whole lot of waiting too. Even as things are slowly opening up here there are so many protocols in place that it hardly seems worth going anywhere. I love that adorable sloth welcome mat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sloth welcome mat was a total impulse purchase from a local small business. I have bought a few things from them this quarantine and the mat just made me smile :)

      Delete
  5. We have started opening up a little more each week here in Texas and I actually am going for a hair appt today! We have been loving our backyard too....something I have always loved but had kind of forgotten to enjoy with our busier lives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope the swimming pool opens at least. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've been pretty locked down but some things will be opening up this weekend. We've been spending all of our time in our back yard too! Your sloth mat is so fun!

    Jill - Doused in Pink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a total impulse purchase but I justified it by the fact that we're supporting a small, local business. It totally makes me smile every time I go in the back door :)

      Delete
  8. Love our little zoom happy hours! We should make this a monthly thing; it's very fun. Love your little "Who We Are", but can you explain "YEET"; is that a Canadian word or is that something he made up? Lastly, I had a hearty laugh at "What I'm listening to... family." I so desperately want a break from my family, too. All of them. Of course, at this point Carson is permanently attached to me, but I'd take a solid 24 hours with just me + Carson and no one else.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh the just waiting...reminds me of "Oh the places you'll go" by Dr. Seuss. Haha! It does kind of feel like we are in a weird Seuss world right now...more scary and/or boring than fun though. We are at least glad we live close enough to the beach to enjoy social distancing there. Being a more introverted person, not being with other people doesn't really bother me too much, but I do miss it for the kids. I have kids who desperately need more interactions. Sigh. Our pool hasn't opened although lots of neighborhoods around us have opened theirs. The restrictions really aren't too bad here, and they could make the necessary changes with very minimal costs so I think ours is just being a bit ridiculous. I think they just have to put out spray bottles of sanitizer to spray off equipment, chairs, etc. after use which is pretty much what they do in gyms all the time. Our new neighborhood won't have a pool anyway so we will have to join another community pool. I hate all this uncertainty about the future because I am a planner. I need to get a plan in place! :-/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm happy that we are starting to open up and things are staying ok. We aren't really going anywhere but we are starting to enjoy time with friends, so that's been nice! I hope y'all open up soon or at least the pool opens!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The new mat is so cute. I know for me just little things like that can bring so much joy to me personally. I guess it's silly but it's true!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)