Wednesday, October 15, 2014

New York Highs And Lows

Hello. Hello? Is this thing on??? Is anybody out there?

Yes, it's been a little (a lot!) quiet here on the blog. First I was sick and a little overwhelmed and then I was out of the country. But now I'm back and getting a handle on life again. Before I get into all the blog posts about our time away, I need to sort through a bunch of pictures and try and figure out which stories to tell you. However, I didn't want to leave this space empty any longer.

This past weekend, we went to visit Dave's grandpa who lives in White Plains, just forty-five minutes north of New York City. Dave's aunt and uncle live in White Plains too so we stayed with them. A few weeks ago, my blog friend, Amanda, used a "highs and lows" format to document her weekend. I'm going to blatantly steal borrow her idea just to give you a small taste of our mini vacation.

Dave

Favourite moments: lunch with my Grandpa at his retirement centre; going out to a really good Mexican restaurant with my extended family; seeing my cousin for the first time in five years and meeting his wife; hanging out with Sam and Rachel at Long Island Sound while Natasha shopped at Trader Joe's;
 
Least favourite moments: driving in rush hour traffic in the greater New York City area; not being able to find the Canadian border crossing in Niagara Falls, New York; when the kids were awake between midnight and 1am at our hotel on our way to White Plains;

Natasha

Favourite moments: going to Central Perk!!!; taking the kids to FAO Schwartz; walking to Connecticut;
Least favourite moments: when I dropped the camera's lens cap and it rolled into the Hudson River; waiting in line for two and a half hours to get into Central Perk;

Sam

Favourite moments: getting to be on Mulberry Street (from "And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street" by Dr. Seuss); watching football with Uncle Simon; getting my New York City Police vehicles; playing on the pirate ship at the Long Island Sound playground
Least favourite moments: not being able to take the MicroMachines from Auntie Bobbi's home with me; having to leave the pirate ship playground; having to leave the LEGO section at FAO Schwartz

Rachel

Favourite moments: when the seal burped loudly and the penguin pooped at the Central Park Zoo; playing with Auntie Bobbi's phone at the Chinese restaurant; staying for two nights at a "ho-towel"; when the train conductor gave me a pink ticket!
Least favourite moments: when I couldn't find Mommy and Daddy at FAO Schwartz; when Mommy wouldn't buy me $30 worth of nail polish; when I couldn't get a ladybug painted on all my fingernails;

More stories coming tomorrow...

3 comments:

  1. How exciting! I cannot wait to hear all about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love me some NYC! Glad y'all had a fun mini vacay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the little teaser of your trip. Your favorite things would be very similar to my favorite things. The kids' highs/lows seem pretty familiar too. Haha!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)