Friday, April 04, 2014

From There To Here

So I'm blogging from Christchurch. I am completely exhausted since we left home about 39 hours ago. I am just going to write a quick post and then go to sleep. Sadly, I can't upload pictures yet. New Zealand internet is weird, and although we have free WiFi at the B&B we're staying at, I'm not allowed to upload pictures. I really hope I can find a way to get some pictures on here soon though because otherwise, this is going to be some boring blogging for the next few weeks :)

Our flights all went really smoothly. We flew Toronto-Los Angeles-Fiji-Aukland-Christchurch. I manged to stay awake the entire five hour flight to LA and then I stayed awake through the many, many, many lineups we had to navigate through the LA airport. We were there for about two hours and the whole time we were moving from one line to another.

Then we got on our 11 hour flight to Fiji. People, eleven hours is a looooong time to be on a plane, even if you do manage to sleep through most of it. I ate a quick supper and then fell asleep. I woke up a bunch of times, switched my position, and went right back to sleep. It wasn't the most restful night of sleep I'd ever had but when I woke up at 4am Christchurch time, I was good to go.

The Fiji airport was small. I enjoyed the humidity and heat, which we could feel from inside the airport. Then we had our relatively short (just under three hours) flight to Auckland. I mostly read and stared out the window. It was so beautiful.

In Auckland, we quickly made our way through customs and then we had about three and a half hours to kill before we got our flight to Christchurch. Dave and I spent some time sitting outside and I had changed my shoes to flip flops. This was an exciting moment and I have a picture of my bare toes in green grass to prove how amazing it was :)

About an hour before our flight to Christchurch, I started to get completely exhausted. I just wanted to curl up in a corner and sleep. However, I was bound and determined to stay awake until it was time to go to bed tonight to try and help with getting over jet lag. The one hour flight to Christchurch felt like an eternity as I tried to keep myself awake.

We arrived in Christchurch, got our rental car, Donny successfully navigated the opposite sides of the roads (but not the turn signal vs windshield wipers!), we ate some supper at a restaurant about a five minute walk from our B&B, and now I am going to sleep. I really wish I could upload some pictures of Fiji from the air, our hangout spot at the Auckland airport, and New Zealand from the air, but, as I mentioned earlier, I can't.

And now I'm going to bed. I am on track to get ten hours of sleep tonight and it sounds more divine than I can even explain. I can't wait to share more with you tomorrow. Including some pictures, I hope :)

*To read about the way I spent Day 2, go here. To read about the way Dave spent part of Day 2, go here. To see pictures from Days 1 and 2, go here.

5 comments:

  1. Yay you made it!!! I think you had the right idea just forcing yourself to stay awake through the day. You'll wake up and be good to go - for me it was the time transition coming back home that was the worst!

    And the turn signal vs. windshield wipers never gets easier - even months after coming home I started kept them mixed up here because I made the change and then had a hard time changing back! ha!

    Have so much fun! I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the jet lag coming home was way worse. I just went to bed early a lot the first week away. And I eventually got used to the turn signal vs. windshield wipers.

      Delete
  2. So glad all the flights went well! It sounds pretty miserable, but I'm sure the rest of your trip will more than make up for that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, I don't know how you can handle all that jet lag! I am terrible at adjusting to big time changes. I never adjusted during our whole honeymoon in Hawaii. Sigh. Hope you get a really good nights sleep and are ready for some exploring tomorrow! And let's hope you can find a way to sneak us some pictures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that you were able to upload pictures from the rest of your trip. You all look like you are having a blast!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)