Wednesday, September 06, 2023

Currently: September 2023

Wow. Having Covid go through our house and heading back to work has really thrown off my blogging schedule. I feel like we're barely surviving these days and there's definitely not room for anything extra. Thankfully, there are link ups to keep me motivated to keep blogging. Today, I'm linking up with Jennifer at Overflowing With Thankfulness for her "Currently" post. You can find Jennifer here.

[loving]

I'm "loving" how much the kids are taking the initiative and responsibility for their school year. I have basically told them, "You can join whatever you want, and I will support you, but it's up to you to make sure you know when practices/tryouts are and to get yourselves ready." Both kids want us to buy them paper planners so they can be prepared for all this responsibility. Since the first day of school is today, check back in in a month or two to see how this is panning out but I love that I can empower the kids to organize their own schedules.

[seeing]

Well, as I mentioned above, today is the first day of school so, after summer break, I am "seeing" school supplies and backpacks on the back table again. It's a little weird, I must admit, even though I think we're all ready for this new school year.

 

[dreaming]

Honestly, I'm "dreaming" about this weekend when our unusual heat will break and it will finally be cool enough to do some things outside again. With the humidex yesterday it was 40C/104F and that is way too hot. Thankfully, the worst of the heat should break tonight and I'll be able to function again. While I'm not quite ready for fall weather, I am ready for less hot weather.

[eating]

It's one of my favourite times of year to eat -- peaches and tomatoes are soooo delicious and I'm eating all that I can. Also, I'm still eating that kale salad I talk about all the time. It's loosely inspired by this recipe here.


[using to decorate]

I haven't gotten my fall mums yet or hung the fall wreath so in this season I'm buying flowers from a flower farmer at our CSA and "using those to decorate." I love a good bouquet of garden flowers. It's a bit of a weird, in between time, for me decorating wise. I don't do a lot of fall decorating.

So that's up with us "currently." It feels like we're on the high diving board about to dive into the chaos (and joy!) of fall activities, school start up, the Jewish High Holidays, and everything else that comes with everything starting up again. Think of us as we take the plunge!

11 comments:

  1. It is hot! But I love it. Great your kids want to do all of the things, Everett gets to try out for some school teams this year too. Your flowers are so pretty.
    Sarah (not anonymous)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got this Mama! Glad you are all on the mend and I am so sure the kids with "slay" their new schedules! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the kids going back to school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy first day! Simon asked for a planner this year too but I don't think he is using it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 104, yikes! Your garden flowers bouquet is beautiful, so autumnal. We're empty nesters so no school prep here but I do miss those days. Both my daughter and I are avid planners, keeps us organized!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love that they want planners and are ready to tackle the responsibility of their own schedules! That is such great practice/habit to get into now. Those flowers are just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those flowers. They are so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh! It was hotter by you with the index than here (not that we were much better) Happy school year!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hooray for the first week of school behind. Here's to a great year ahead - one that is so well organized:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous flowers! I love them. That's the extent of my decorating at the moment - my weekly bargain bouquet of fresh flowers in the dining room. Hope the kids keep up with their commitments to keep track of their activities!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember when both my kids kind of hit their groove with school and started taking responsibility for everything themselves. It was amazing! It really makes you proud.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)