Wednesday, September 28, 2022

What's Up Wednesday: September 2022

It's time for What's Up Wednesday and I kind of can't believe how quickly September has gone. What happened to it?!?!?!? Read on to find out what's been happening with us this past month.

As always with What's Up Wednesday, I'm linking up with Shay at Mix and Match Mama and Sheaffer at Sheaffer Told Me To.

image from here

What we're eating this week... Sunday night was the start of Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year. So we ate round challah (all the rest of the year it's a straight loaf) and we ate apples and honey (for a sweet New Year). And we had supper with Dave's parents on Sunday night and his mom made matzoh ball soup. So we've been eating all the holiday foods!


What I'm reminiscing about... Our across the street neighbour has a two year old, and a couple of nights ago we caught up with good friends who have a sixteen month old, so I've been reminiscing about when Sam and Rachel were that age. It feels like so long ago and also like just last year. Time is weird.
Sam at 2 1/2, October 2011 * Rachel at sixteen months, October 2012

What I'm loving... I'm loving the little glimpses of fall we've been getting. The trees are starting to change colours and, by next month, we'll be enjoying all the fall colours!!!

Along with reminiscing about when Sam and Rachel were younger, I'm also simultaneously loving this stage they're in now. Earlier this month we had a potluck at church and the kids made our potluck contributions. It was pretty awesome! Additionally, both kids are now in the Jr Youth group at church which means that when they have Jr Youth, Dave and I get date time. YAY!!!

What we've been up to... It's been a full month. The kids started school, which has been going pretty well thus far...
... Rachel started dance and has been dancing between five and seven hours per week, which she has been loving...
 
   
... and we attended the LUMEN festival of light and technology in our uptown this past weekend. It was so fun!!!
 
 
What I'm dreading... After a quiet summer of our neighbours not doing anything in their backyard (Dave and I actually wondered if they were still living there a few times as we only saw them about twice), they have now removed the shed (which provided some privacy between our yards) and put out some string boundaries. So we think they are about to start working on the backyard and I am dreading how long it might take... I'm still not over their big renovation from last summer.
 

 
What I'm working on... We're working on organizing in our basement. It's very exciting. Actually, I really will be very excited when it's all done!
before we organized the shelves (left) * after we'd gotten rid of some things (right)
 
As always, I'm also continuously working on folding laundry. It's a never ending task these days.  

What I'm excited about... The Toronto Blue Jays!!! The Blue Jays are almost certainly going to the playoffs this year and I'm SO EXCITED!!! Now if they can just make it past the Wild Card...
 
I'm also excited because Sam is becoming Bar Mitzvah in October and so many people are coming to celebrate with us. We're getting ready for a huge family party and I can't wait to see everyone again!
 
What I'm watching/reading... I'm basically watching Toronto Blue Jays baseball games and reading articles on the MLB app. I check the MLB app first thing every morning and read every single article I can find about the Blue Jays. I'm actually watching the Blue Jays game as I write this post, and when I'm done writing this post, I'll fold some of that laundry pictured above.

What I'm listening to... Blue Jays games! Hahaha! Also, as I was starting to write this post, I was listening to Sam and Rachel playing a game in the playroom. They rarely play together these days so this was a special moment.
 


What I'm wearing... Well, this is what I wore to work yesterday (Tuesday). We went from hot and humid (t-shirts and skirts) to cold and rainy (sweaters and pants) in about two days. I asked Dave the other day, "What happened to our t-shirts and jeans weather?" but it looks like we'll get that this weekend. What is more noticeable is what I'm still NOT wearing, which is socks. I won't wear those for a few weeks yet!
 

 
What I'm doing this weekend... Rachel has two dance rehearsals for her December shows, I'm going to a friend's birthday party, and we're all looking forward to our neighbourhood art walk. It was cancelled for a few years so we're really excited it's back!

What I'm looking forward to next month... Sam's Bar Mitzvah is the biggest thing happening in October, so I'm looking forward to all the celebrations and family time surrounding that! But I'm also looking forward to Thanksgiving, seeing my parents, and the return of a few other events which were cancelled by Covid restrictions the past two years. There's a lot going on for us this October!

What else is new... I think I've covered everything.

Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog today. I'm off to watch the rest of the Blue Jays game and get started on folding that laundry.

9 comments:

  1. Sam's Bar Mitzvah? That's huge! You seem so calm :) What a wonderful time for you and your family! Love seeing and hearing about Rachel's dancing too- so glad to see everything coming back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it sounds like October is going to be busy! September sounds like it was great too. My mom just noticed this past weekend that I was still wearing my flip flops and she asked me how long I plan on wearing them.. my reply was "usually until the first frost; possibly until the first snow storm!" LOL. I don't wear them ALL the time as my toes do get cold but I still wear them on sunny days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shana tova!! The Lumen Festival looks so cool! And bar mitzvah!! So exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting about Sam's bar mitzvah! I heard that there are no more restrictions in Canada, just in time for Gabbie - she is visiting her Toronto friends in two weeks and we don't have to fill out any forms for her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any chance your neighbors are putting up a fence? Because that would make for some excellent privacy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Lumen festival always looks so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bar Mitzvah time, how fun!! I love those plants that turn bright red, we don't have any in our yard but I get to see a few on my travels. Go Blue Jays!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the Lumen festival pics and love how much life seems to be normal! Can't wait to hear about Sam's Bar Mitzvah and the party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As always, your challah looks spectacular! I did not make a round challah because I struggle enough to make a straight one. Can't wait to hear about the Bar Mitzvah!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)