Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Halfway Through April And What I'd Read

I am only publishing this post now, but I wrote most of it at work one day in April. However, I couldn't load the book cover images from work so it's been sitting in my drafts for a few weeks. 

Last year I read 200 books and I thought, "Well, I can read more than that in 2022." I didn't count on working full-time, and how lack of lock downs, would interfere with my reading. Instead of staying up until all hours of the night, I'm asleep before 11 most nights. And you won't hear me complain about the fact that we don't have to stay home all the time anymore :) However, my reading is going to be a little light for the next few months...

Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1)
After seeing our friends' daughter play Anne in the play, I really wanted to reread the book. Now I just need to make time to reread the rest of the series :) Also, I don't remember when I first read these books but with all the descriptive writing, they really aren't geared to younger readers.
The People We Keep

It took me over a week to read this book but that was because I was tired, not because it wasn't engaging. I loved the quirky characters although April's parents made me sad. I just wanted to take care of her and give her a safe place to land. And I loved the ending :)
Crying in H Mart

I thought this book was good but it was one of those ones which was way overhyped for me so I felt a little let down by it. I was expecting it to be amazing and, for me, it just wasn't. However, I did enjoy reading this and the way the author wrote about her relationship with her mother, through food.
Apples Never Fall

Oh Liane Moriarty -- I'm giving up on you. I read your best book first (What Alice Forgot) and it's all gone downhill from there, in my opinion. I just don't love your books and I am officially breaking up with you. This book was... okay... but I just didn't love it.
Wish You Were Here

Jodi Picoult, on the other hand, always gets my vote. She has done it again with a book that took a twist in the middle I absolutely did not see coming. (Sorry if I've just spoiled it for you.) I seriously gasped out loud, and flipped back a few pages to figure out what had just happened. I highly recommend this book and want to talk about it with someone, so if you've read it, let me know.

And that's what I've read thus far in April. The end of my April (and beginning of May) reading will feature a lot of JD Robb's In Death books so I figured I'd let you know that now :)

Do you like Liane Moriarty? Do you think I'm breaking up with her unfairly? What author will you not read again? Let's discuss :)

8 comments:

  1. Wish You Were Here was one of my favorites last year. It was so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you're reading Anne! I have that exact same copy. I stopped Jodi Picoult for awhile but maybe I'll pick up this one. I tend to get tired of an author after reading a couple of their books, not really breaking up with them, just taking a break. I was not happy with Miriam Toews after "Women Talking". I loved All My Puny Sorrows so much, but didn't like WT at all. I am giving her another shot this year with Fight Night so we'll see if that is deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't ready Liane, but I do love Anne! :) I'm so glad you read her again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rocking the reading as always Natasha! I heard the same thing about Liane Moriarty's book so I am going to pass

    ReplyDelete
  5. My book club read Apples and I can't remember much about it. Thinking mom died and the siblings all came together? Maybe not. I rarely read more than one book by an author because I am generally disappointed when the second or third book I try doesn't measure up to the first one.
    I had The People We Keep and H-Mart on consideration lists for the book club to vote on but they didn't win. I thought both sounded good so will try to get to them on my own. Thanks for the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm curious about Crying in H-Mart

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked crying in H-Mart but there were so many references to Korean foods that I just couldn't really get into it as I had no idea what most of them were. I find Moriarty's books are either hit or miss with me and Apples was not a favorite; it was just kind of "meh." I loved What Alice Forgot and thought Big Little Lies was pretty good too. I just got caught up on the In Death series!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was thinking of listening to Apples Never Fall as an audiobook because I'm on the fence of breaking up with her too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)