Wednesday, September 30, 2020

What's Up Wednesday: September 2020

Welcome to What's Up Wednesday for September. I'm linking up with Shay at Mix and Match Mama and Sheaffer at Sheaffer Told Me To to talk about what we've been up to lately. This feels like the most normal What's Up Wednesday I've written in awhile so that's exciting! Welcome to 2020, where "normal" becomes "exciting"!

image from here

What we're eating this week... Muffins, muffins, and more muffins. September has been all about muffin baking around here -- lemon blueberry, banana chocolate chip, peach with a hint of ginger, orange chocolate chip, zucchini butterscotch chip -- we've been eating them all!

What I'm reminiscing about... I'm remembering back to when Sam was in Junior Kindergarten. He's in his last year of elementary school (Grade 6) and I just keep thinking about him in JK. How did he get so big?!?!?
Sam starting Junior Kindergarten, Sept 2013, and earlier this month, starting Grade 6.

What I'm loving... Rachel is back at dance and Sam is back playing baseball and I just LOVE watching my kids getting to do their things again! I mean, I don't get to watch Rachel dance because parents aren't allowed in the studio, but I do get to do her hair in a bun again and drop her off so it's practically the same :)
 
 
What we've been up to... School, dance, baseball, work -- it's the regular September craziness around here and we're up for it!!! Plus we've had a couple of back yard visits with friends which have been so great.
Rachel enjoyed some night climbing in our friends' backyard.

What I'm dreading... Right now, nothing. I'm just appreciating all the normal we're experiencing and trying to enjoy it while it lasts.

What I'm working on... Staying on top of the mask laundry. Does anyone else struggle with this? I feel like I'm constantly doing laundry trying to keep masks clean so the kids can wear them to school and dance and the library and, well, everywhere they go...
This is our mask organizer and Rachel, for some reason, 
seems to never have enough clean masks.

What I'm excited about... The kids are back in school full-time!!! I'm sooooo excited about that, I can't even tell you. It looks different this year but you know who is no longer teaching them (ie managing their schoolwork) -- ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know I've posted these pictures on the blog about three times already, 
but I'm so excited my kids got a first day of school AT school!!!
Have I mentioned 2020, the year where "normal" is "really exciting"?!?!? 

What I'm watching/reading... As I was finishing this post last night, I was watching my beloved Blue Jays playing playoff baseball!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm fairly excited about this and I will be watching baseball from now until the end of October when the World Series ends.

I finally gave up on my delusions that I was going to read my nine million library books and returned them to the library. Below is my much more manageable stack. I recently finished The Royal Holiday, and Such A Fun Age.
 
What I'm listening to... My alarm going off way too early every weekday morning. I'm so happy to be back at work, after six months of not working, but I wish I didn't have to leave the house so early.  
 
What I'm wearing... Work clothes. I got a temporary full-time position for a few weeks so I had to (got to!) buy some new work clothes. I added a couple of pairs of pants and a couple of shirts and I love them all!!!
 
What I'm doing this weekend... Hopefully we'll be helping our friend celebrate her 50th birthday, if it doesn't rain. She's had to re-imagine her birthday celebration a number of times these past few months and I really want to celebrate her. I'm also hoping we'll be able to enjoy a family movie night, although watching baseball might take priority if the Jays make it past the Wild Card round! I also would like to find the time to bake buns so that might be what I do on Sunday.

What I'm looking forward to next month... I'm looking forward to my full-time work ending. Honestly, it's been quite exhausting (it's a lot of emotional stress as I'm meeting (virtually) with parents about school all day, every day) and I'm looking forward to getting some energy back.

What else is new... Sam has decided that jeans are evil so I've been trying to find sweats and other "comfy pants" which he can wear to school. Also, he's 11 so size 10 pants are sometimes too short but size 12 pants are often too big in the waist. I'm thankful my best friend has handed down a lot of her son's clothes for Sam to wear which saves me a ton of time and energy having to shop. However, I just wanted to put this out there in case other moms of 11 year olds are reading and can commiserate :)

19 comments:

  1. I hated when my boys landed in between clothing sizes. I'm having that same problem with my youngest two right now. My middle son is very tall (over 6') but super skinny and most sweatpants aren't long enough and while I can find pants it's not easy finding size 29 waist with size 34 length. I'm so thankful for Amazon and all their free returns as we're just buying and trying on tons of pants for them both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my son is tall-ish and skinny too! Thankfully my best friend's son has the exact same build so she did all the hard work for me but it's a hard body size to buy for.

      Delete
  2. Your new clothes are super cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Old Navy and Joe Fresh for the win!

      Delete
  3. We are in between sizes here too. But my boy is short and stocky! I'm glad things are normal for you at the moment! We have dance and soccer and it seems quite busy here too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your work clothes.

    That is nice that the kids get to go to the school building. Mine are driving me a little crazy. :)
    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the excitement about school, I feel the same way! No one wants to wear pants with buttons here either (including me, hah!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should remember that pants with buttons aren't my favourite right now either -- Hahaha!!!

      Delete
  6. I want a muffin and want to rock climb! Congrats on the position!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, I love your new outfits. You look very polished!! Yay for a new position in time to make some holiday money.

    Glad the kids are able to enjoy some normalcy with school, dance and baseball. I am washing lots of masks, too. We have started back to the gym and I feel like I should probably drown myself in rubbing alcohol or bleach when we get home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments on my new clothes. I would much rather go shopping with a friend and I had to depend on my husband and 9 year old daughter's opinions this time!

      Delete
  8. I agree about books being stressful when you have SO MANY checked out. Sometimes I had a hold for MONTHS and the e-library just takes them back so I stress about getting them finished. It doesn't help that I am constantly checking and reserving new stuff ha.

    I second everyone else - I really like your new clothes! Getting up early again has been SO HARD!

    Trent is always too thin for what fits his waist. I just bought him some new size 10 pants and they fit perfectly in the waist but already seem a smidge too short, uggggggh. And he has hated jeans for YEARS - he is always in joggers or athletic shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah for muffins and all of the activities- glad to see this! Love your outfits too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the activities make me so happy (and so tired)!

      Delete
  10. Yay for new work clothes. My 16 yo started hating jeans several years back. All he wears now is athletic shorts/pants except to work and church. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a huge stack of books.... peach and ginger sounds yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That climbing wall looks so cool! Love your mask organizer!

    Jill - Doused in Pink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friends put a lot of work into the climbing wall and I'm so happy they're excited to let Rachel try it out. She LOVES it! Our mask organizer was a hand me down from a friend and both kids wanted it for their rooms. Then I realized we needed to organize our masks by our back door in some way and Voila! Now there's no more fighting over who gets it :)

      Delete
  13. Very intrigued by that climbing wall! Aaron tolerates jeans but prefers khakis which cracks me up because khakis have the same enclosure (zipper/button) as jeans but somehow the material is different. I don't know.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)