Monday, September 28, 2020

Monthly Musings: Fall And Hallowe'en

As I've done for the past few months, today I'm linking up with Holly and Patty for their Monthly Musings. The official link up day was this past Thursday, but as with all things this month, I'm behind :) (Also, I'm not officially linking up because I missed the party but I'm still posting my post!)

 

1) Favourite Fall tradition?

Around the third weekend in October, our neighbourhood has an Art Walk where local artists open their doors and showcase their work. We often find a few holiday presents from this walk and it's usually a beautiful way to get a good walk in. I just checked, and much as I expected, it's cancelled for this year. :( I'm going to miss it.

Our family also loves "Open Doors" where you get to go into buildings you wouldn't normally have access to (police station headquarters, mosques, apple farms, etc) and Lumen. Lumen is a festival of lights which happens in our uptown around this time of year and it is so much fun to explore. As with everything else, it was moved online this year which just isn't the same.

me playing a violin with a special light bow at Lumen in 2018

Another fall tradition our family loves is when our church small group attends a fundraiser for Haiti where we each get a unique pottery bowl and eat lots of soup together. I saw that the event is still running but instead of gathering in a central location, we go to the restaurants to get take out soup and eat at home. Again, I understand why all these events can't happen as regularly scheduled but it still makes me sad :(

a selection of bowls from last year's event

2) Favourite Hallowe'en tradition?

Can I call it a tradition even though it's only happened twice thus far? If so, it's trick or treating with friends and carrying a mug of my my friend's Bourbon Apple Cider. Trick or treating is way more tolerable with friends and alcohol!

I also love being able to trick or treat with the kids at Dave's work. They go from cubicle area to cubicle area and it's a great way to cut down on neighbourhood trick or treating if the weather's not great.

 

I loved the cider so much, I asked my friend for the recipe and now I make a batch (or two!) around Christmastime. Yuuuummmm!!!

3) What will Hallowe'en look like this year for you and your family?

I don't know. We're trying to keep expectations low around here. I don't think trick or treating will be able to happen so we've told the kids at the very least, we'll buy a box of candy and eat it, while watching a (not scary) Hallowe'en movie.

4) Share your favourite Fall recipe.

I would have to choose between my aunt's "Really Good Carrot-Dill Soup" (for which I don't have the recipe online) or Cream of Carrot-Cheddar soup. Click here for the recipe for the carrot-cheddar soup. If you love carrots and soup, I highly recommend you try it. It's soooooo good!

5) Favourite Fall fashion staples?

Normally, I would say "jeans" but I've hardly worn them this year. For work, it's been my cardigans (easy to throw on in the morning when it's cold and take off in the afternoon when it's hot). For at home, it's my slippers but I haven't transitioned to them yet.

6) Favourite Hallowe'en costume?

I don't know what mine was but I've loved the years my kids dressed up as Harry Potter characters. And I just LOVE the year Rachel was a moose :)

7) Favourite Hallowe'en candy?

Coffee Crisp!!! It's a Canadian chocolate bar and basically the most delicious chocolate ever (except for Lindt balls). 

8) Favourite family Hallowe'en movie?

We don't actually have one. Now that we have Disney+, maybe we'll find one this year? Also, if you have any recommendations, see my answer below about "scary movies" below and then, send me ideas please.

9) Scary movies? Yes or NO

Absolutely not. In Grade 5, our teachers showed us Poltergeist as "a Hallowe'en treat" and I was scarred for life. Welcome to being a kid in the 80s!

10) Favourite Fall beverage?

Hot black decaf tea with a little milk and a little more sugar. And hot apple cider -- I LOVE hot apple cider.

15 comments:

  1. Can you imagine showing Poltergeist in today's schools? So funny to think of life in the 80's compared with today's world. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your town walk and Trick or Treating with a festive beverage is one of my faves too Natasha- thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think Trick or Treating with a festive beverage is the best way to do it! Especially now that our kids are older.

      Delete
  3. Totally not into scary movies either! Love me my Addams Family and Hocus Pocus though!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Lumen events sounds really awesome and your picture is so fun! I've done a soup bowl event that supported children's art programs. It was so cool and I loved my bowl. My silly cat broke it though, I had it displayed in my bedroom after the event because it was so lovely.
    The bourbon apple cider sounds delicious!! The carrot soup looks yummy too!
    I can't imagine watching a movie like Poltergeist in school. That movie is freaky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have LOVED Lumen the few times we've been able to go. It's a newer festival in our city so hopefully it will continue.

      And yes, even though it was the 80s, that movie was terrifying. Aaaaaahhhhh!

      Delete
  5. I missed the link up too because they don't leave it open long enough! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE Poltergeist!!! We are going to try and do a 'progressive' Halloween with activities at our friends' houses in our neighborhood. I bought all the kids' costumes this week, so we're still going to try and have fun. :/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just can't believe a teacher would think that's a treat! How crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have so many fabulous fall traditions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started really missing them as I wrote this post. Hopefully next year we'll get to do them all in person again...

      Delete
  9. Love Coffee Crisps too! Although they’re pretty hard to find in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun post!! I like your trick for making trick or treat more tolerable. Need to remember that little gem!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really been my favourite part of trick or treating these past few years!!!

      Delete
  11. I'm really jealous of all your events in your city (which are now canceled but they sounded great when they were open!). I have never heard of Coffee Crisp but given that I don't like coffee, I imagine I wouldn't like it lol. But I do LOVE Kit Kats! Kit kats are my second favorite next to Reese's PB Cups. I also despise scary movies and absolutely cannot watch any of them. Never seen Poltergeist and I'm quite ok with that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)