Thursday, August 06, 2020

"Currently" In Saskatchewan

I've been trying to decide what to blog about and then my blog friend Dara responded to these "currently" prompts in a blog post here. I thought they would be a fun way to share a bit of Saskatchewan with you.

[choosing]

We are at my parents house and my mom has some boxes of household things she wants to get rid of. I've been enjoying seeing things from my childhood home which I'll get to our house at some point.

[consuming]


We're eating all the fresh produce from Mom and Dad's garden -- beets, cucumbers, tomatoes, raspberries -- along with all the delicious food we only eat in Saskatchewan -- perogies, cream gravy, and farmer sausage. Plus tonight Mom is making Saskatoon Berry Pie.

[enjoying]


Mom's flowers are amazing. Plus, they are letting a bee keeper keep his hives on their land and so all day long I can hear (and see) the bees humming as they fly from flower to flower gathering honey. If you look closely at the last picture you can see two bees in the flowers.

[ordering]


Happy Drinks!!! A number of years ago we spent a few weeks in Mexico with my parents. My dad had instituted Happy Hour and one day Rachel asked, "Is it time for happy drinks yet?" Thus, a new phrase was born. So we have happy drinks every day! I've been enjoying Moscow Mules, G&Ts, and a new drink Mom and I invented (and named by Dave) a St Petersburg Burro -- it's vodka, tonic water, and a rhubarb and ginger syrup and it's delicious!!!

[remembering]

I'm remembering how much I love Saskatchewan skies. And canola fields in bloom. This picture was taken about a five minute drive away from my parents house. It just makes my heart so happy!

Also, one night my mom and Rachel were going through clothes and then my mom remembered she had a box of older clothes and they found my Grade 12 grad dress and my mom's veil from her wedding. Rachel decided to model them and I also remembered how much I LOVED my Grade 12 grad dress. (We didn't have proms in Saskatchewan -- we had a supper and a dance after the graduation ceremony so this is what I had instead of a prom dress.)

So that's a little bit of Saskatchewan currently for you.

14 comments:

  1. Love all of this- this is what life is all about- so glad you are able to spend some quality time with your parents :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really been the best! I'm so glad we decided to take a chance and make the trip.

      Delete
  2. So much fun together! I love happy drinks!! I need Moscow Mule badly (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you're having a great time in SK! Nothing better than pretty views, cocktails, and yummy local food :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are! And pretty much "YES!!!" to all of this!

      Delete
  4. Love the flowers! Glad you're having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the flowers! And happy drinks! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um, pencil me in to join you for your next trip to SK! That sounds amazing!! Happy Drinks and flowers are particularly appealing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh - that veil - that's precious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy drinks is the cutest phrase! And those flowers and fields are beautiful! Glad you are having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay seriously had to double take on Rachel! SO GROWN UP!!!!! And ahhh....the flowers and skies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the fresh produce and flowers. Beautiful and simple pleasures

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post is so full of happiness; I can just feel it radiating from my screen. :) I love all the yummy food and the delicious drinks (that rhubarb one sounds AMAZING) and the memories of parents. Love all this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My daughters loved playing dress up in my high school prom dresses. And I loved watching them.
    Beautiful skies indeed. And I am all of happy drinks. My sister is on a gin and tonic kick.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)