Thursday, July 23, 2020

Calling In The Blogging Reinforcements!

One thing I'm struggling with this summer is writing interesting blog posts which aren't surveys. I have about another five surveys/question type posts to write about but surely, there have to be other things going on in our life, right?!?! (Don't answer that!)

So last night as I was trying to figure out what to write about, Rachel offered to help me write a blog post. As for Sam, he has been reading the blog lately, which has been a fun new stage of parenting :) I like hearing his comments/questions as he's reading. So the following is a post from Rachel with comments [in parentheses] from Sam.

Me: So Rachel, what's your idea for an interesting blog post?

Rachel: I'm guessing most parents are going insane because their kids are bored and want to go on screens a lot. And parents probably don't want their kids on screens all the time and they also don't want to have to entertain them.

[Sam: Are you going to record everything we say for this post?
Me: No.
Sam: But can you record that part?]

Rachel: So I thought that maybe this could be "10 Ways Not To Go Insane While You Don't Entertain Your Kids." Plus, then your kids are not on screens. [Sam chews popcorn in my ear which is not at all irritating.]

#1) Ask each kid if they like art, and if they do, print out a few colouring sheets that you think they might like and then tell them to colour it. [Sam: Hopefully you know already if your kid likes art or not. Also, what if they like sculpting? What then?]

#2) Look at your local store, like Target or Wal-Mart, and think of what your kids like. Then buy a few things you might be willing to invest in -- like some pool toys or find a BBQ which your kids can help you put together. [Sam: Basically just buy everything my parents have bought this spring!]

#3) [Sam: Stuff a book in their face and make them read.]

#4) Make a schedule of when your kids are allowed, and not allowed, to have screen time. For example, in our family, we can have iPad until 9am and then sometimes in the evening, but otherwise make sure your kids are off screens. [Sam: I suggest you invest in security cameras to make sure your kids are not on screens when they aren't allowed to have them. {Me: Where do you guys come up with these ideas?!?!?!}]

#5) Try baking with your kids. I know you guys might bake on your own, but how about baking with your kids??? [Sam: Also, the baking tastes good! Especially when my mom bakes with Rachel and I don't have to help.]

#6) Try some nature walks. Take your kids outside -- make them go for a walk and get fresh air and exercise. When you come home, you can cool down, and your kids might have used some energy on the walk. Then you can all have downtime. [Sam: Don't eat anything you find in nature, because it could be poisonous and you could die :( ]

#7) Take a nap with them. If necessary, bribe them to take a nap by promising them a treat (like a special snack or a Coke float) if they sleep. [Sam: If you don't nap with them, then you can have alone time.]

#8) Make your kids help out more around the house -- make their bed, do dishes, clean off their desks. [Sam: Just make sure you don't work them too hard so you don't get charged with child labour.]

#9) Let your kids make blanket forts in their closets. They have to clean out their closet first and they'll have a quiet place to go. [Sam: My closet is too small to make them there, so I use the pillows from the couch for forts.]

#10) [Sam: Let them read your blog. It's educational.] Rachel says, "I like reading it because I get to look back at memories, like when we could see friends without being socially distant and go on fun trips.

Sam also recommends that while your kids are entertained with these fun ideas, you can drink alcohol on Zoom with your blog friends!!! Hahahahaha!!!

So thanks for the help kids! I think an alternate title for this could be, "Things we've forced our kids to do this summer!!!"

9 comments:

  1. OMG Sam is hilarious! Hi Sam, do you read the comments too? My kids read my blog as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!!! I love your kids know so much about blogs & have ideas.
    That Zoom comment from Sam... I'm totally laughing at that one

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is too funny!! Way to outsource your work!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tips- these are great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you ask them for tips for entertaining Paige? Ha! I hope the drink on zoom with your blog friends was aimed at me and Emily!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, reading this I can already tell rachel is going to be a great mother. She’s got this more figured out than some veteran moms I know! Also I think it speaks to YOUR skills as a mother that your kids are so astute already about adulthood and the world. I’m very impressed (as always). Also I love your surveys so don’t stop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun read. Your kids are cuties with lots of personality. Have them each write a blog post!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)