Monday, July 13, 2020

10 On The 10th: July 2020

I'm so happy I didn't forget about "10 on the 10th" this month like I did in June. Well, okay, full disclaimer: I forgot to take any pictures until about noon but then I more than made up for it. I took 28 pictures in total and had to work to get it down to ten to share with you.

There are not very many pictures of the kids from this day because they spent most of the day with Dave's parents. It's such a treat and a big break for all of us.

Also, I talk a lot in this post about how hot it is. For about two weeks now we've been hitting highs of 33-35C (91-95F) but with humidex, it feels like about 40C (104F). The "lows" have been around 20C (68F) but still with humidex around 25C (77F). We're not used to days and weeks (and nights) of sustained heat like that, and without any rain, so it's been newsworthy around here.

So without further ado, here are my ten pictures from this day:
We had rotting bananas in our bowl so I made an early morning batch of banana muffins. Sidenote: Rachel has been making herself "mini s'mores" as a snack which is graham crackers, mini marshmallows and chocolate chips mixed together in a bowl. I didn't realize how much she'd depleted our chocolate chip supply but let's just say I had barely enough for the muffins. Ooops!
It has been very hot and dry in our area for about three weeks now. Everybody's grass is brown and drying out. It was supposed to rain for a twenty-four hour period starting this night so I took a picture of the backyard so I could remember how dry it was.
We get a lot of kale in our CSA. The kids only eat so many kale chips so I found this super easy soup recipe which Dave, Rachel, and I love and Sam tolerates. It's only got onions, kale, thyme, chickpeas, canned tomatoes, and broth in it. Then you sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top and it's so good!
During day lily season I have to get strategic about my laundry hanging so I don't break the stalks. It only lasts about a month but I feel like I'm always playing laundry line tetris during July. Normally, I have a very ordered way of hanging laundry so this messes with my mind a little.
A good friend of ours has a rare health complication and so is stuck at home until at least January 2021. We've been trying to be as supportive as possible (while resisting our urge to want to smother her in hugs!) and I did my first ever grocery pick up on her behalf. I had to document that :)
It's been so hot that I needed to find something else cold to drink. I've been making decaf iced tea with a lot of lemon and we are all loving it. Yes, I make it in our Kool-Aid pitcher!
I caved and bought some cherries. They are expensive so they're a rare treat. Both Sam and I LOVE them!
For some reason, I've been looking forward to getting food from the Ish & Chips food truck for a couple of months now. We decided to get it this evening and it did not disappoint!
It started raining just as we got home and I had to document the beginning of the most significant rainfall we've had in weeks!!!

Our power went out for about half an hour which was good times. The kids loved using their flashlights downstairs while they got ready for bed.

6 comments:

  1. Great pics and looks like a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the laundry line tetris! :)

    That was really nice to help out your friend. She looks so happy and cheerful. I recently took flowers to a neighbor lady and it really made her day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That soup looks so good. I know what you mean about cherries. They are so expensive but taste so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like Texas weather, wow! The past few days it's been in the low 100s and we basically live at the pool. Right now it's 8:50 AM and I just checked the temp - 85 but feels like 91, yuck. I am so mad because I've wanted to do this since you started it and I always forget, ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep having bananas that are going bad... but keep forgetting to get flour at the store for banana bread - UGHHHH

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel you on the miserable hotness. As I'm writing this comment, it's 89 outside with a "real feel" of 95. Tomorrow is supposed to be even worse, with highs in the mid 90s and real feel up to 103. Our lawn and flower beds are also parched.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)