Monday, March 16, 2015

World's Worst Blogger

Hi. It's me, the World's Worst Blogger (WWB). I'm in South Carolina, and last you looked, I was just home from Mexico. Although, actually, that is a bit how the reality was. Let me continue to cement my WWB title and give you a brief update of the whole "getting home from Mexico/being at home reality."
I flew home on my own with Sam and Rachel. For some reason, the airline put us in business class for part of the flight home. Thankfully we were surrounded by nice people, who rather than being annoyed that a loud three-year-old and an inquisitive five-year-old were sitting with them, were amused and kind.

These lovely people continued to be extremely helpful as an incredibly stressed mom (that would be ME!) herded two kids (and their stuff) through customs, through (not picking up) luggage, and as we transferred terminals. A very kind gentleman even took Sam to the bathroom while I waited for my (nonexistent) suitcase. A huge shout out to all the amazing people who helped us through the Houston airport. We had an hour and ten minutes to make our connection and we got to the gate as our plane was supposed to be taking off.
When we got to the gate, the plane was still there but the gate was closed and no one was at the computer. An airport employee went above and beyond to find someone who could assist us and get us onto the plane. I seriously was in tears as I envisioned spending the night on my own in a strange city. And I was also in tears (of relief) as I boarded the plane, hoping they could find us seats somewhat together.

Sam ended up sitting by himself on both flights and managed really well. I was (not) the Mother Of The Year on the last flight with a very hyper Rachel, although a nice person did comment on how well I parented. I guess he didn't hear the (many) whispered threats I gave to Rachel as she kicked me, hit me, and Did. Not. Sleep. for practically the entire flight.

Then we got home but our suitcase did not. And although I was assured that it would be no less than 18 hours behind us, it was almost a full 48 hours until our suitcase was delivered to our door and we were reunited at last.

So by the time our luggage was unpacked, and all the laundry was folded and put away, it was time to start getting ready for our next trip.

On the weekend though (this would be two weekends ago now) we did have a little fun. Sam and I went to see "Charlie And The Chocolate Factory" at our local Mennonite high school. One of the kids who used to walk Sam home did a superb job of being Willy Wonka and Sam loved it.

Also, these two girls are ones I used to babysit. I've known one of them since she was born and the other since she was 18 months old. How are they practically high school graduates already?!?!? Also, the Oompa Loompas did their hair :)
On the Saturday Dave and I had a bit of a date day/getting ready for our next trip time. First up, we had a romantic dinner at Harvey's! Ha! Actually, it kind of was nice because we were able to have uninterrupted conversation and no one tried to steal my onion rings.
Then we did some errands and ended up at our local Starbucks where they hadn't undecorated yet from the "World's Biggest Date."
And then we survived a few days and headed off on our next adventures.

And since I am the WWB, I am going to over-post for the next few days until I am caught up. Part of the reason I've been the WWB on this trip, thus far, is that we had really intermittent internet at the place where we stayed in Virginia, and this morning, my computer was really acting up. However, it seems a little better behaved now so I'm going to write some posts while I can.

Until then, sorry for this really scattered post but at least now you're caught up on what happened the brief time we were home :)


  1. You. Are. So. Brave. to fly with the kiddos by yourself!! You're my hero!!!! I'm so excited you're down our way (relatively speaking) on your trip! Can't wait to hear more about that!

    And I cracked right up that Starbucks was still decorated. That's some serious lag time!!!

  2. In my book, you are a brave mama. =) I can't wait to hear all about your southern road trip. I keep checking your instagram to see where you are at.

  3. Ugh, I am pretty sure I get the WWB title lately. Sigh. I can blame no Internet at our new house partly and a new baby and a new house to get organized does not help. Sigh. Sounds like you also survived a crazy couple of weeks.


Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)