Wednesday, October 04, 2023

Currently: October 2023

It's the first Wednesday in October so it's time to link up with Jennifer at Overflowing With Thankfulness for her "Currently" post. You can find Jennifer here. I am "currently" at a stage in my life where I feel like life is a hamster wheel and I'm running, running, running just to stay in place. And when the hamster wheel finally stops for a brief while, I collapse and have no energy for anything else. On the plus side, I mostly manage the hamster wheel by walking places so I've been getting a ton of exercise these past few weeks. Anyways, nothing bad is happening -- there's just a lot going on right now.

 [loving]

I am absolutely "loving" that Sam was so enthusiastic about doing the Central Art Walk. One weekend in October, local people in our neighbourhood display their art and open their studios and it's just so much fun! I was tempted to skip it this year because our weekend was already so full but Sam was insistent on doing it. So Sam and I walked 4.5 kilometres (almost 3 miles) in our neighbourhood and visited all seven locations.

Sam still has Bar Mitzvah money to spend so he actually bought quite a bit of art. I think the artists got quite the kick out of seeing this teenage boy spend up to $150 on art which caught his eye. I loved doing the Art Walk with Sam and I loved seeing what pieces he was drawn to.

[excited about]

I'm "excited about" October baseball!!! The Jays are in the playoffs and let's see how far they go!!! Of course, I'm a little less "excited about" this since they lost their game last night and could be eliminated as of tonight, if they lose, but think positive, right!?!?!

 

I'm also "excited about" making homemade applesauce. I made another batch last night and will be making a batch every few days since I have a whole bag of apples to deal with.

[watching] 

 Well, to be repetitive, I'm "watching" a lot of baseball. On Sunday, we even got to watch it live which was so much fun!!!

 
[seeing]

I'm "seeing" the leaves turning colours, and, as usual, I can't stop, won't stop, with taking pictures of them all! Be prepared for even more colourful leaf photos coming to the blog as October progresses.

[observing]

I'm "observing" that Canadian politics are quite different than American politics. We, in Canada, also had an election for our Speaker of the House yesterday. A Member of Parliament was elected quite quickly by our government. Our new speaker is the first Black man to be elected Speaker of the House. Our previous speaker resigned after honouring a Ukrainian solider with Nazi ties when the Ukrainian Prime Minister visited Canada a few weeks ago. (The previous Speaker didn't know about the soldier's Nazi ties when he honoured him.)

And well, in the US, there is also an election for the Speaker of the House. But it has not gone quite as smoothly. We will likely be in limbo for awhile to see how the US election for Speaker shakes out.

I've also been "observing" the impending US government shutdown with the failure to pass the budget. I know that there is now a 45 day reprieve to solve this issue before another potential shutdown is imposed. In Canada, if our budget doesn't pass, there is a vote of "no confidence" for the Prime Minister, which triggers a national election. Our national elections can be held in as little as 36 days or as many as 50 days. That is very different than what the US experiences.

So yes, currently, I'm "observing" that Canadian and American politics are very different.

So that is what's up with me "currently." I'm writing this on Tuesday night and I just ate some fresh applesauce and now I'm going to bed because I'm "currently" very tired :)

10 comments:

  1. Canada is sounding more and more attractive to us ;) Love seeing the leaves change too! Enjoy the baseball :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the Canadian politics lesson! Very interesting! I'm looking forward to seeing fall leaves here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is wonderful that you are making your own applesauce and the leaves look so pretty. I can't wait for our leaves to change to pretty colors. I hope you enjoy the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun to make your own applesauce! I would make it, too, if I had an abundance of apples. The art walk sounds cool! Our town has an annual art festival and I was blown away by the talent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting to hear the differences in American and Canadian politics. The Central Art Walk sounded like so much fun. We have something similar here but at the holidays, when local artists open their studios.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am ready for all the leaf photos! I wish we could/would overhaul so many of our government policies... so interesting to read how your country handles similar problems (so much more effectively!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the commentary on Canadian vs. American politics. Loved seeing the new Speaker, and the election of Wab Kinew of Manitoba's premier!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Making homemade applesauce is on my agenda today! I love it...enjoy yours!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cool about Sam's enthusiasm and support for the Arts walk! We were also excited about Blue Jays baseball and unfortunately were also bummed when they made an early exit from playoffs. Boo. I do a lot of compare/contrast between US and Cdn politics and see pros and cons to both. I only follow Cdn politics in a very general way now though. Visiting from Currently#19

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both are teams are out now...how sad!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)