Wednesday, July 06, 2022

Currently: July 2022


It's my first day of summer break and I am soooooo ready for it! I get six and a half weeks off work and I have big plans for every single day! Where "big plans" equals -- hanging out with friends, reading, and getting some deep housecleaning done! Hahaha! Some of these six and a half weeks do actually have "big plans" but I'm mostly looking forward to not having to wake up with my alarm clock and leave the house at 7:30 every single weekday.

As always (except for June, because well... June), on the first Wednesday of the month, I'm linking up with Anne at in residence for "Currently."

[enjoying]

The day lilies have been spectacular this year! Day lily season always brings me great joy but this year I'm "enjoying" them more than ever. I even got to try this pin (see it here) which I pinned about five years ago. Instead of making the fancy filling though, I just used chive and shallot Boursin cheese. It was decadent, but oh, so good!

 

[having]

I'm still loving "having" my morning coffee-hot chocolate outside. On days when I don't get to sit outside, drinking my morning drink for even five minutes, I can tell I'm grumpier. Clearly I'm cruising past middle age and heading towards being a senior with my insistence on morning outside time. Hahaha!!! Yesterday, I even sat outside in the rain for a few minutes because I just wanted to be out. (To be fair, I was under a tree and it was drizzling so I didn't get too wet.)

[hoping]

I'm "hoping" the lime muffin recipe I found on Pinterest (you can see it here) tastes good. If the raw batter is any indication they will be very tangy. These muffins are currently cooling, so I'll have to weigh in on them later.

Edited to add: They are good. They have a tangy lime aftertaste which I really like.

[picking]

Inspired by my Instagram friend, Jenna, I've been "picking" flowers from our yard to make bouquets. I rarely pick the flowers in our yard and it's been fun to create with them.

[using]

We get a ton of kale in our CSA and I've made pounds of kale chips and love making a kale-chickpea soup. However, this past weekend I made a massaged kale salad and it was delicious! Rachel even liked it. So yesterday I made another one. We will be "using" our kale for this salad all summer. And bonus: the kids massage the kale so I don't even have to get my hands dirty!!!

I used this recipe for inspiration, and the dressing, but since I didn't have a lot of the ingredients on hand, I used grated carrots, green onions, peppers, and feta for the actual salad. It's tangy, but oh so yummy!

So that's what's up with us "Currently" -- lots of yummy food, apparently! Next month, I won't participate in "Currently" because we'll be on vacation (!!!) so I'll see you all again in September. By then, I'll be back at work (boo) and gearing up for a new school year, but until then, I'm going to enjoy my first day of summer break!

9 comments:

  1. I had no idea you could eat day lilies! How interesting. Good call on the kids doing the kale massaging, I hate getting my hands all oily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy summer!! Your lilies are amazing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all of the greenery! It really helps to make this the best season! My kids would love if I made kale chips with all that kale- enjoy and enjoy your summer break!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like kale chips! Great to catch up with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have questions! Do you eat the whole lily? How do you massage kale, and why? I'm trying to add more vegetables to my diet and kale is a struggle for me; does massaging it make it less bitter?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty flowers. And have a great summer break.

    Lauren @ www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your lilies and your bouquet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Flowers from the yard - tucked into jars - absolutely the prettiest!! Your lilies were are spectaculor!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm I saved the lime muffin recipe; I love tangy so I'm excited to try it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)