Wednesday, December 09, 2020

What's In (And On) My Fridge???

This is either going to be the most boring post ever (thus cementing 2020 as a blogging low) or you might just find it intriguing (thus proving that a) you are nosy like me and b) loyal blog followers who are just happy to see a post, no matter what it's about). I got this idea from Joanne at Slices of Life. You can read her post here. It was part of a link up and I found it so interesting to see what was in Joanne's fridge, and how it was different from ours.

One thing I realized while taking these pictures, is that you get a very good idea of what the kids are eating right now. They definitely eat in phases! So without further ado, welcome to our fridge! Hahaha!!!

We have a side by side fridge and freezer so our actual fridge is fairly small and we're often playing fridge Tetris, as Dave and I call it. On Monday night we actually had a "leftovers night" for supper because we needed to get some things out of the fridge as opposed to adding more leftovers to it.

Our door holds eggs, random sauces and dressings, yeast, cans of Coke (wherever we can fit them in), Parmesan cheese (the big container we buy at Costco) and maple syrup. We always have big sizes of Italian, Ranch, and Caesar dressings and then a few smaller containers of specialty salad dressings. We bought some lime cordial syrup at the pool produce stand this summer so that's in there too -- I need to mix up some more of that as we only have it as a special treat. And right now we have a container of apple cider in there too which is another thing we only buy as a special treat.

Our top shelf is the yogurt and canned drinks shelf. And sometimes the kids' water bottles from the night before. Currently, our extra eggs also have to sit up here. Right now I am liking cherry yogurt and Rachel is devouring banana yogurt. Dave eats whatever (except for cherry) and Sam doesn't really eat yogurt. There's also usually beer and a drink or two for me on this shelf too.

This is our drinks shelf. Water, milk, and orange juice are always on this shelf. Right now the kids are loving the Passionate Peach 5-Alive and I'm loving the citrus. You can also see a carton of egg nog hiding behind the water. Dave and Rachel are the eggnog drinkers in our house. (Side note: Egg Nog in French is translated as "chicken milk" so Sam and I like to tease Dave and Rachel with that. We think "chicken milk" sounds disgusting!)

This is our protein drawer. Right now it is overwhelmed with cheese as we bought some extra special cheeses for the holidays -- an aged Balderson Cheddar and a Guinness Cheddar. They're delicious. There's usually a package or two of tofu in here as well as some summer sausage for Sam for lunches. And there's currently a lot of butter in here because "Hello, holiday baking!"
The shelf under the protein drawer rolls out which I love. This is usually where our extra eggs sit but right now that space is being taken up by our Cheese Advent calendar. (And for those of you who read this post, the original cheese Advent calendar cheese was disgusting and making our whole fridge smell so we emptied it out and put the cheeses in a Ziploc bag. Dave is currently eating his way through them because he likes smelly cheese. Also, the original calendar only had four different varieties of cheese -- this one has nine and Dave, Sam, and I love it. Rachel tolerates some of them.) Also, our fridge is usually 90% less cheese but it's the holidays right now. Hahaha!!!

Hiding on the back of this shelf are a few containers of sour cream (because Channukah starts tomorrow and "Hello, latkes!!!"), some cream cheese, some hummus (which Sam has been taking for lunch every day), and some random fruit. Rachel has been on a raspberry kick for awhile now and the cut up orange is for our holiday potpourri.
This is our pickles/margarine/leftovers shelf. That bag of raisins has been sitting there for awhile because Rachel no longer eats them. Also, Sam has been loving the 7 layer dip from Costco for lunches so we've had some of that in our fridge all fall as well.
This is our produce drawer. The kids take peppers, cucumbers, and green apples for lunches. We only buy romaine lettuce when we're planning on making a bunch of Caesar salad. And I think that's about it in this drawer.

This drawer always holds milk and carrots. And tortillas, if they're not in the drawer above. We've been going through tortillas like nobody's business because Rachel, especially, is loving cheese quesadillas right now. Again, we only buy spinach when we plan a couple of meals around it, although Sam LOVES spinach salad with hard boiled eggs.

And yes, in our province, milk comes in bags. It's weird. It's a (mostly) eastern Canada thing. (And I guess Israel, parts of South America, urban India and, more recently for a short time, the UK.) There's a Wikipedia article about it you can read here.

And since we've reached either a new blogging low (or high, depending on who you are), I thought I'd show you the outside of our fridge too. We recently cleaned it off because...

... we put all our holiday cards on our fridge and they stay there until the next year. So by the end of December, the fridge will likely be a lot fuller of all our friends and family. We also have all the kids' school pictures from Junior Kindergarten on (I'm so sad they won't get school pictures this year -- boo Covid). We have magnets from a family photo shoot a few years ago and a few other special pictures and magnets.

The picture on the right is the upper part of our freezer door. It has other magnets which are too big to use for the pictures on the left and a Blue Jays schedule from 2019. We had a printout of the the 2020 schedule there and soon, the 2021 schedule will appear. Hahaha!

So that's it. That's inside (and outside) of our fridge. This is a fun snapshot of what we're eating in December 2020. Now tell me something about your fridge. Is the cheese taking over? Is milk in bags the weirdest thing ever? Does the front of our fridge seem homey or make you want to scratch your eyes out and clean it off?!?!? Let me know!

16 comments:

  1. FUn post... sanctioned snooping is the best LOL. My kiddos are obsessed with quesadillas also!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love looking at people's fridge magnets and pictures, so it's fun you included that! I should have done that in my post on this topic. Five Alive - I haven't thought of that drink in forever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was fun to see the Canadian brands we don't have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MILK IN BAGS!!!?! I have never heard of that and I really needed a good pic of what that even looks like! Is this all types of milk, or just cow milk? We always have 3 kinds of milk (almond, 2%, and whole) and I can't imagine it all just sloshing around in bags!! I love a fridge with tons of personality on the front. I mean, mine looks like a mess, but when I clean it all off it makes me sad, soooo...what's a girl to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I love this post!! This is like looking at other people's grocery carts. I will probably do this in the new year. I love that Guinness cheese!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I can't wait to read yours. I hadn't thought about it being like looking in someone's grocery cart. It's also kind of like an Amazon Purchase post or a Grocery Haul post. And yes, the Guinness cheddar is sooooo good!

      Delete
  6. My youngest son loves raw spinach; we all have salad most nights and he just eats a pile of spinach. No one (except me!) likes orange juice so I don't even buy it anymore as I rarely drink anything that's not water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine our family without morning juice. Although juice isn't all that healthy so I'd love if we all drank more water.

      Delete
  7. I try to organize my fridge but the Hubs refuses to put things back where he gets them

    ReplyDelete
  8. Milk in a bag? WEIRD! Ha! You are coming in with great content, stealing this too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Milk in bags = something I learned in December!! Also I'm with you on the eggnog. Ryan likes it but me? Not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh love the "fromage"....something we don't see here..well the words anyway ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always forget that the US isn't bilingual. It's a requirement that all packaging sold in Canada has our two official languages on it.

      Delete
  11. Very organized!! Love all the juice. We are on a smoothie kick and have baggies of fruit and veggies in our freezer to grab each morning and to throw in the blender. I am into baby spinach lately and could eat a salad almost every meal. YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sometimes get on smoothie kicks and then we go through A LOT of frozen fruit. I should reintroduce that because smoothies are soooo good for you!

      Delete
  12. This was such a random, yet oddly interesting, post! I love all the cheese you have; cheese is my love language. Also, I'm pretty sure we have the same fridge. I've had a side-by-side fridge in my last two houses (came with each house) and I DO NOT LIKE side-by-side fridges. I cannot wait for the day with a top-and-bottom fridge!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)