Monday, December 14, 2020

10 On The 10th: December 2020

Welcome to 10 On The 10th for December. This was the first night of Channukah so we had a lot going on this day. I also picked up a job the night before so I spent most of the day at work. I had thought for a December "10 On The 10th" I would show you my favourite Christmas ornaments but then I realized, "We're an interfaith family - duh!" so instead I'm showing you ten pictures of some of my favourite Christmas and Channukah decorations, including ornaments

Every night during Channukah we light the candles. This year we have two menorahs. The silver, tree like one is one we got from Dave's grandparents as a wedding gift and we have used it every Channukah since 2008. The other one is one my dad made for us last year. It's the stave of an old barrel and I LOVE it.

This is the olive wood nativity set I bought for my parents when I lived in Israel-Palestine. I never actually bought one for myself and they said they would give it to me eventually. When Sam was three and Rachel was one, they sent it to us and we've used it ever since. This year, Rachel set it up and the sheep are babysitting Jesus. Hahaha!

I was inspired to make the Channukah banner through a blog link up. It's seven years old and I still really like it. If you're really interested, you can read about how I made it here.
 
The year I made the Channukah banner, Sam was four and wanted to make one too. So he made this one on Post-It notes and stuck it to the mirror on the closet door in our front hall. Yes, I kept it and yes, we still put it in the same spot every year. This makes Dave and I laugh so much!!! We will probably hang this "banner" forever :)

The original inspiration for my Channukah table centrepiece came from a blog friend, Shoshana. I have a blue vase in the middle which I fill with white flowers. This year they're alstroemeria. And then I take blue and white rocks and sprinkle gelt, driedels, and Channukah confetti throughout. And yes, I gather up all the confetti and reuse it every year. And don't eat the gelt because it's old!


Dave's aunt sends us Channukah decorations every single year which we love. She lives just north of New York City and finds so much great stuff. A few years ago she sent us a few of these driedels and they live on our cupboards during Channukah. I LOVE them. They're so cute!

Now for a few Christmas ornaments. My blog friend Sherry sent this to me a few years ago. It reminds me of my blog friends (even those of you who are not from the South) and I LOVE it so much!

This is a hand print reindeer Sam made in Junior Kindergarten. I think it's so cute :) I just love the handmade ornaments we have from the kids.

When I was a kid, every year, my parents gave us an ornament to mark something special from the year. This is a present my dad made the year that he learned stained glass. I couldn't decide between posting this and the stained glass wooden shoe my dad made for me the year I lived in The Netherlands. Sam calls it a mustache which makes me laugh so much!

I had to finally just pick one ornament of the many we have given the kids over the years so I chose this one from the year Sam became a big brother :) It's so much fun to think about what has been meaningful, or what has defined the kids, over the past year, and then find an ornament for them.

So there are ten pictures of my holiday decorating/celebrating as of December 10, 2020.

12 comments:

  1. Love the decorations and love how you are representing both faiths!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all very cool with all the memories they inspire!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ornament stories are my FAVORITE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last one of Sam as big brother is the cutest thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas! Enjoyed looking at your pictures. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love the glimpses of everyone's traditions & the fun ornaments & decorations of everyone's holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything you shared is so special, I love it! That nativity is beautiful, and I love the stories behind everything. I had a little laugh with the y'all ornament!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The olive wood nativity center is beautiful. How cute are yall in your matching PJs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every time you post it, I fall in love with your olive wood nativity. Some day I'll go to Israel (probably when the kids are grown and we have money again) and I'm definitely purchasing an olive wood nativity there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for being an interfaith fam! As a child, I was not raised with any organized religion but all of my friends were either Catholic or Jewish. So I came to know a little bit about both.

    The menorah that your father made is a real keepsake. My daughter bought a silver one for me a few years ago. It is special to me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember the exact picture from your centerpiece inspiration! Of course, I haven’t really done it again since then, so I’m happy you’re keeping it alive! 😅

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)