Wednesday, July 26, 2017

What's Up Wednesday: July

It's What's Up Wednesday time again. Here's what has been going on with us in July.

 
image from here

What we're eating this week... Our CSA. I love love love our CSA.
The picture on the left is zucchini pizza bites. You can find the recipe here. I make a vegetarian version with mushrooms or peppers instead of pepperoni. Rachel ate four of these last night for supper.

The picture on the right is Sam and Rachel holding their sorrel bunches. When we first started doing our CSA pickup we had to drive out to the farm. Sam loved picking tons of sorrel to eat. Angie now brings him a HUGE bunch every week since we no longer drive out to the farm. Last week, Rachel freaked out that Sam wasn't sharing so this week Angie brought Rachel her own bunch. And this is just one of the many reasons I love our CSA.

What I'm reminiscing about... Our Kenya trip. It was just such an amazing trip. If you're interested, you can read all our Kenya posts here. And I should get back to blogging about it tomorrow. I'll be writing about our Maasai village visit :)

What I'm loving... I am loving the lazy days of summer which we only got to start experiencing last week. The kids were in a full day VBS before that and before that we were gone. I love seeing how creative the kids are when they have to figure out what to do on their own. For instance, last week they decided to open a flag shop. They make the flags out of fuse beads or perler beads. Below is Sam's catalogue if you wish to order a flag :)

And Rachel composed the following story. The balloon is asking, "Hey, who made me?" The girl answers, "I made you. My name is Rachel." The sun adds, "I'm hot." And the grass finishes, "I am grass." Hahahahahaha!!! How can I not love these things?!?!?

What we've been up to... We've been up to two straight weeks of VBS, one week of full days and one week of half days. We've also gone to three baseball games in three weeks in three different states and provinces. (Yes, those adventures will be on the blog once I'm done writing about our Kenya trip.) And the kids have been working on their summer workbooks.

What I'm dreading... While I love the kids' creativity with the fuse beads, I hate ironing them. Blah.

What I'm working on... Well, I'm worship leading at church on Sunday so I've been working on that. I'm also preaching next month so I should be working on that as well. Ha! And I should get working on our Kenya photo book so we can pick it up when we go to The States next month. There's a lot to work on.

What I'm excited about... I'm mostly excited about the fact that the kids have gotten into making their own lunches. Yay independence!!! I don't even care what they eat if they're making it themselves! Ha!
I'm also excited because I participated in the 24in48 readathon this past weekend and I won a prize for my awesome spine poetry -- where you make poetry composed from titles of books you have. My winning entry was this:

Paris
Walkable City
The hate u give
The unwanteds,
Hidden figures
Behind closed doors -
Beneath the stones -
Nobody knows.


What I'm watching/reading... I basically read all the books this past weekend. I read ten books in 24 hours over a 48 hour period. It was awesome. The best book I read was The Hate U Give. You should read it.
Does "staring at flowers" count as "watching?" Normally I get a flower CSA every year but last fall my flower farmer had a baby so she didn't sell shares this year. However, she's been selling bouquets at the pickup some weeks and I've been a loyal customer. I just love her flowers!!! Okay, okay -- I love ALL flowers! Ha!

What I'm listening to... Ummm... does Dave groaning in pain count? Unfortunately, he did something to his leg or back or some body part near there and is having a lot of trouble moving. He has a doctor's appointment tomorrow but until then he's just in a lot of pain if he moves the wrong way -- like standing up or sitting down or rolling over in bed. You know, basically if he has to move.

What I'm wearing...Well this past weekend I wore both my book shirts and I really want another one. It's a problem. Besides that I've been wearing the three t-shirts I bought at Target last weekend. I got them in navy, grey, and the red shown below. You can click on the link below to see them and I won't even earn any commission! Hahaha!
image of Target t-shirt from here

What I'm doing this weekend... As I mentioned above, I'm worship leading this weekend. Other than that, we have a lot of yard work to do, so I'll probably be trying to fit in some of that in as well.

This bed needs some weeding time and attention.
 
I suspect it's a problem when your weeds are taller than your hedge. Yerghks.

What I'm looking forward to next month... We're heading to New York for a long weekend at the end of the month and it will include family time and some special baseball fun! Also, the kids will be in swimming lessons everyday for four weeks so I'm looking forward to mornings at the pool.

What else is new... I can't think of anything.

Bonus question: What's your favourite thing about summer?
Ummm... I don't know. Maybe just that the kids have lots of time to play together and I get to eavesdrop on their imaginations. Basically what I wrote for "What I'm loving..." above! I also love not having to rush out of the house every morning.

2 comments:

  1. Good job on them fixing their lunches! I was thinking today mine need to pitch in more for meals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so behind on posts- just catching up! First of all, I LOVE LOVE your kids creativity. My goal as a parent is to raise kids who can manage their free time ("boredom") by finding creative things to do. I think that is a super important skill that the next generation is lacking. Also - what part of New York??? I assume City but maybe the finger lakes or cow country??

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)