Wednesday, September 02, 2026

Currently: September 2026

It's the first Wednesday of the month so it's time for "Currently" hosted by Amy at Coffee and Cocktails at the Casa You can find Amy here. I've been back at work for about a week and a half but the kids don't start school until next week so we're in a bit of a mixed up couple of weeks where the kids are still on summer break but Dave and I are working.

[Adjusting (to)]

I'm "adjusting (to)" being back at work and having to wake up early again. I'm "adjusting (to)" having less time at home and being extremely tired when I am home. I'm "adjusting (to)" spending less time on our deck. Sadness.

I'm also "adjusting (to)" the kids doing their own laundry. This has been the biggest change in our house. Both kids independently said, "We want to do our own laundry now." Sam wants to dry his in the dryer, so it's softer (which is his impetus! Hahaha!!!) and Rachel still hangs hers up. I know it's probably a good thing for them to do their own laundry but I saw a video this morning about how you need to make time to do the things that bring you joy and one of the things which really brings me joy is hanging laundry. So having the kids do their own has been an adjustment for me.

[Baking/Cooking]

Other than the back to school muffins Rachel and I baked a couple of weeks ago, we haven't been "baking/cooking" much of anything around here. We never did grocery shop a few weeks ago and then this past weekend we were out of town. So Dave just went grocery shopping for the first time in about two weeks last night. I have had popcorn for dinner a few nights over the last week or so because I've been too tired to make/eat anything else. We will get back into a better cooking routine but it just hasn't happened yet. I think tonight's plan for dinner is frozen pizza as Dave is out of town for the day. All that is to say, it's a good thing Rachel and I baked when we did!

[Decorating]

While yesterday was September 1, it was also 38C (100F) with the humidex. The kids haven't started school yet so, between that and the weather, it really doesn't feel like fall. My favourite greenhouse opens for fall today so my mums will probably make an appearance soon. I did buy a seasonal towel and some pillows a couple of weeks ago so I did put those out last night.

 

I'm excited to have mums along our fence again this year after having to skip getting them last year, due to our renovation. This picture is from a few years ago.

[Balancing]

I am "balancing" upcoming, exciting transitions for people in my life with my own emotions about how things are changing. Over the next months and year, a few people close to me have big things happening which will effect my life. I'm super excited for the people who have the transitions happening but sad for me as to how things will change. There are a few things I can't talk about yet but Sam starting his final year of high school next week is definitely a big one!!!

 

His first day of school doesn't feel like it was all that long ago...

[Learning]

I am "learning" that the more I do this school start up thing at work the more I know what I'm doing and the less stressful it is. I was expecting to be so stressed at this point and I'm just not. My principal and I keep asking each other, "Are we missing something?" Our response is always, "Nah, we're just pros at this by now!" Don't get me wrong -- I'm still tired, but I'm not stressed. Whoo hooo!!!

So that's what's going on "currently" around here. Fall is coming. School is coming. More independence is coming. Better nutrition is coming (I hope!). But it's not quite here yet.

9 comments:

  1. I love reading a blog that matches my weather and school calendar exactly!! Hahah. (You know what I mean.) We are loving these last days of summer before school starts, and waiting for that all important email of which class Quinn will be in! Thinking of you while Sam starts Grade 12, what a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a big adjustment going back to school! I love your line up of mums and glad you can do that again! Love that they want to do their laundry and it's so important they know how to do so many things before they fly the coop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the transition with kids in a new school year goes well. It is always rough the first few weeks it seems. I like your pumpkin towel and maybe that will help it seem cooler since it is so hot still outside. Hang in there and have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww thinking of you Mama and know exactly how you feel- sad and excited and proud all at the same time- it is crazy! Glad you have the new schedule/work thing down- makes life a little easier!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny but I feel guilty sometimes that I didn't make Zachary do his own laundry this summer. I remind myself that it's something I can still do for him and I like to care for people that way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like yall are doing whatcha gotta do! Sometimes that's all we can do. And yay! for not being as stressed at work. That is always a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so hard to think about decorating the house for fall when it's still hot out. Good luck with your transition of back to work and your kids to school. It's great that your kids want to do their own laundry and will be a big help to you! Enjoy September.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, his last year of high school is for sure a major milestone! I mostly enjoy doing laundry and while I miss it I figure I have more time for reading books. LOL. I hope the new school year goes well for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Change is always hard! I'm adjusting to a lot of new things and frankly, I don't always exhibit a good attitude about the changes. Your mums along the fence are so pretty! I could see looking forward to getting mums this year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)