Wednesday, July 08, 2026

Wednesday Hodgepodge 661

I'm linking up, once again, with Joyce at From This Side Of the Pond for the Weekly Hodepodge. Find Joyce here. You'll see more about this below, but I'm looking for blogging topics and Joyce asks interesting questions.

1. What's something you enjoy now that your younger self would never have appreciated?

Being outside. When I was a kid I would do anything to be able to stay inside. I much preferred reading and doing all my family's laundry, rather than doing outside chores like working in the garden. My mom would take the day of her birthday off work to stay home and garden and I never understood that.

 

Now I do. It's Sunday afternoon as I write the bulk of this post and I've been outside for most of today. I tended to my day lilies (and counted the ones in bloom today (over a hundred!!!)!), I've hung laundry, I've read some of my book, and I've planted some more grass. Now I'm blogging outside and later this afternoon I'll go over to have a visit on the porch with my friend and drink some tea.

WHO AM I EVEN!?!??! 

2. What was peaceful about today?

My entire morning was peaceful -- drinking coffee-hot chocolate outside, hanging laundry, deadheading my day lilies, and reading my book. The birds were singing and I had nowhere to be. It was glorious. 

3. It's National Blueberry Day (July 8). Will you celebrate?  You can have one of the following right now-a slice of blueberry pie, a warm blueberry muffin, or a stack of blueberry pancakes...which do you choose?

This or that-blueberries or raspberries? blueberries or strawberries?

I did not grow up with blueberries. I mean, I'm sure they existed at the grocery store but Saskatchewan had Saskatoon berries, which I still think are way tastier than blueberries. My favourite is Saskatoon berry pie. Our house has a Saskatoon berry tree in the front and we pick the berries right off the tree. We took care of our friends' house while they were away for a few days and my friend made us Saskatoon berry muffins as a thank you. I've been eating them for breakfast and they are soooo good!

If I'm doing this or that with blueberries I'll pick raspberries and strawberries over blueberries. I don't dislike them, I just think other berries are better! 

4. Do you need a break? From what?

I needed a break from work, and I'm definitely getting that! I've been on summer break for about a week and a half now and it's been glorious! I also needed a break from our heat last week and this week has been so much better. So no, I don't really need a break right now, but that's because I'm getting one.

5. What has surprised you most about getting older?

How hard it is to sleep! I used to take sleep for granted and now I don't. I've hit the stage of life where I rarely sleep through the night anymore and it's so irritating. Gah.

6. Insert your own random thought here.

As I said above, I'm glad Joyce has these weekly questions for us. As the kids are getting older I'm looking for topics to blog about which don't include them as much. As Sam goes into Grade 12 in September, and Rachel enters Grade 10, I'm also starting to think more about what life will look like as they're around less. Many of my friends are empty nesters and I see those years coming for Dave and I too.

My second random thought has to do with blogging -- I like to try and read, and comment on, every post in link ups I join. However, more and more blogs require a WordPress account and my WordPress account has not been playing nice lately. I have to reset my password every time I want to post a comment and I feel like my comments still disappear. So, if you have a blog which requires WordPress, please know that I'm trying to comment on it -- I'm just not very successful lately.

So those are my answers to the Hodgepodge this week. I'm having tea with another friend this morning and then I'm planning on going to the library to do some blogging so, hopefully, I'll be able to read some of the other posts soon. Happy Wednesday.

14 comments:

  1. I don't think I've tried a Saskatoon berry. I had Marionberries when my daughter lived in the PNW for a while and they were very similar to blueberries too. I think I appreciate sleep more now than I did as a kid, but I've always been an early riser, and early to bed too. Hope you have a great day and get to spend time outside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate being outside more, especially the gardening part! Your day does sound so peaceful!
    My girls are 18 & 23 and my eldest is talking about moving out, my youngest has just left college and it is a strange time.
    My comments on WordPress sites are a bit hit and miss. Sometimes I comment and they disappear so I just hope they have gone through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am also looking for blog topics that aren't about the kids. It's harder also when I don't do much myself these days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a WordPress account and I am having trouble with linkups recently-boo. I feel your pain friend. I have been thinking about the next stage of life too and I am so melancholy. Your summer looks like it is off to a wonderful and relaxing start! Agree with being outside more nowadays too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, sleep issues. Same here, so frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a WordPress blog set so that you don’t need an account to comment, but many of my Blogger friends still can’t leave comments. I’m not sure why. I don’t moderate either, and I’ve tried everything I can to make it as hassle-free as possible. Oh well. It does seem like more and more are going over to WP -
    I'm right there with you on the blueberries, with strawberries and raspberries my favorite.
    Enjoy your tea with your friend, and enjoy your Wednesday!



    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed your answers. These were great questions this week. Yes on the sleeping. Uggh

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too, have trouble commenting on some blogs- I found that if I have a tab open with my own blog it won't let me sign in/comment on other blogs. So I have to close the blog editing tab in order to comment on other blogs. So strange and I'm way too old to be dealing with technology like this haha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your reflections on shifting seasons of life really resonated with me; such a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A break from the heat is so nice and so glad you are able to enjoy being outside. Yes, blogging does change as our kids grow and stage of life changes. Sleeping is treasured for sure as we get older. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful to be on break from school! I didn't even work nearly the whole school year but I did the last seven weeks of school and, man, was I ever ready for a break! I feel like every day I am thankful to be home! I hope you enjoy nice weather for a long time so that you can enjoy being outdoors :).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Natasha. I'm visiting you from the Hodgepodge. How nice that all of your family contributes to your blog -- a family activity! I see that you have a lot of orange lilies along your fence in what I assume is your back yard. I used to have a lot of these flowers, too, when I lived in another state.They are so hardy and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally understand about not being able to sleep through the night. I do better than DH, but still it's so annoying. What generally wakes me are cramps, even if they're small ones I can stretch out while in bed it's a disturbance. When I was a kid I never understood why old people slept a lot during the day. I think I now know why. Aging isn't for the faint at heart. It has its difficult moments, but as I always say it's better than the alternative. Death isn't bad. I know where I'll spend eternity, but the thought of leaving my loved ones and having them be sad hurts my heart so.

    I'm sorry for the late return visit. Your comment was placed in pending for me to approve and I just around to doing it. It was nice meeting you and reading your responses. I hope to get more involved with Joyce's weekly Q&A session eventually, but I'm quite slow to do so with my site repairs and other things. Have a good week, Natasha!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love saskatoons! I guess serviceberries are basically the same thing, but I just don't see serviceberry jam or anything the way I remember seeing jams and pies and such made with saskatoons.
    I understand about sleeping poorly. I think that has surprised me about getting older too.
    As my kids were getting older I started rethinking my blog because it was a homeschool focus, and once my youngest graduated, how would that affect it? I transitioned my content a little bit, but when we moved and also became empty nesters, I started a new blog and my homeschool one sits unused for the most part. :-( Another of the unexpected challenges of aging, right?
    Enjoyed reading all your answers as I do a little catching up on the Hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)