Monday, April 13, 2009

Introducing Samuel Robert

Sam - March 30, 2009

Samuel Robert KC just missed his due date by 6 hours and 13 minutes!

Sam after being weighed.

Natasha's water broke at 2:46am on Monday, March 30. Contractions started shortly thereafter and eventually we called both of our parents. We told them we'd keep in touch. We'd also been keeping our midwife informed of our progress and she was monitoring things over the phone.

Sam with Daddy

Natasha was in the midst of contractions which had been about two to three minutes apart for about 45 minutes when all of a sudden she thought she felt the head. (At the time we didn't realize the contractions were so close together but afterwards, when we had time to think about it we recognized that fact. But they went from being 10 minutes apart, and minor, to 2-3 minutes apart, and quite intense, very quickly.) Natasha told Dave "I think I feel the head coming -- you need to check" so he did and he called our midwife and said, "I see the head!" Our midwife said, "It's probably just the membranes" and then with the next contraction the head came out and Dave said, "The head is out!" and he dropped the phone and then with the next contraction he caught the rest of the baby and laid him on Natasha's stomach and then picked up the phone and said, "The baby's born." and our midwife said she'd be right there! It was 6:13 am when Sam made his appearance

Sam with Mommy

So Dave got some towels to cover Sam with. Sam was squeaking so we knew he was okay. Dave unwrapped the cord, which was loosely around Sam's neck and leg, and Natasha asked if it was a boy or a girl and Dave said, "It's a boy."

First family picture

Anyways, once our midwife arrived she checked out Sam and pronounced him healthy. We called our parents, and realizing that Natasha was fairly weak after the birth, we asked her parents to come ASAP and they arrived at 5:30 that afternoon.

Sam with Oma and Opa (Natasha's parents)

5 comments:

  1. Okay, seriously, how have I never seen this post? This has got to be the most amazing birth story ever. Okay, I know that years ago it was probably pretty common to have babies at home, but how awesome is your husband for catching the baby. All he needed was a baseball mit because it sounds like Sam came out like a fast pitch baseball. Haha! I absolutely love it. Now, I have to search for Rachel's birth story. I think you have definitely told me before, but was she also born at home? I am ashamed to say I found this story because I was curious about searching for the blog on google. I am a stalker for real! Oh and you look incredible to have given birth naturally at home. How in the heck...you are Super Mom! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I don't know why there were no other comments on this story, but it is very newsworthy.

      Delete
  2. I echo comment above. How have I never read this? Easily the best birth story ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! That is a very fast delivery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa Nelly! What an incredible story!

    Lauren @ Don't Mind Our Mess

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)