Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Things That Grow In My Garden...

The title of this post is a blatant ripoff of my friend, Melinda's blog. It is, in fact, the title of her blog. However, reading her blog (which by the way, is not about her garden, but about her family) today I was inspired to take pictures of all the outside baskets, pots and flower beds which make me happy. I will photograph them throughout the summer and you can follow along with their progress. I know, it's sooooo exciting, right ?! :)

One of the things that IS really exciting is how many people have gifted us with pots and baskets. I'm going to say who gave us what so I will remember it.

We have a bunch of flowers on, and around, our front porch. The hanging basket of Million Bells Petunias was the second thing we got and it was a birthday present for me from Wes, Shirley, Aaron and Elhana. These flowers complement the colour of our house soooo well. The planter of lettuce was the last thing we got and it came from Donny and Marika. I can't wait to have some salad from this planter :)

The first Saturday in May, Mom, Tanya, Rachel and I went to Belgian Nurseries and I bought 96 annuals to fill up some planters and our bed. I bought two trays of annuals because it was cheaper so that's why I ended up with so many. These are the planters on and around our front porch. I did these all in oranges and whites with some purple accents. They should be so pretty when they all bloom.
This is what the front of our house looks like with its five planters! Yikes! That's a lot of planters :)

If you put together the picture on the left and the middle picture you get our flower bed. It had some lily of the valley, one fern and some garlic chives in it but was otherwise empty. Mom and Dad divided some hostas which were on our yard and then I filled in the rest with annuals. Mom also dug up some ajuga from outside the bed and put it in the bed. I can't wait to see what this looks like mid-summer. It is done in purples, pinks and white. The hanging basket was the fifth thing we got and it came from Dave's family friend, Carol.

These last planters are all on our upper deck, the one off our master bedroom. The planter on the left was the first thing we got. It is from Dave's family. Then my parents showed up with the middle planter to celebrate 40 years, exactly, since they had picked me up from Social Services to adopt me. But they were off by a day so the next day my mom gave me the watering can of Gerbera daisies to celebrate the actual day!

I love all my flowers, even though it is a lot of work to water them all. But they make me so happy and I can't wait to watch them grow all summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)