Monday, January 20, 2014

The First Of Dave's Birthday Celebrations

So I don't know if it's because the major Jewish holidays last more than a week (not that Dave's birthday is a Jewish holiday), or if Dave is just extra special, but as of last night we finished the fourth of Dave's birthday celebrations. So now it's time to write about them :)
On Thursday night I made Dave his chosen birthday supper of stroganoff. Then the kids and I gave him our cards and we ate Double Chocolate Cream Pie for dessert. Rachel inherited her mother's tendencies to lick the plate clean where chocolate is involved!
On Friday, Dave's actual birthday, the kids and I took him to McDonald's for lunch (lucky Dave!), and then in the evening, we went to The Works, for supper, with Tim and Janice. The Works is having a Bacon oriented theme right now which is practically heaven for Dave. Tim and Janice gifted him with the appetizer of deep fried bacon, and Dave's burger featured bacon and brie.
 
I had the Fo' Hawk which was amazing. It might be my new favourite -- red peppers, avocado, beechhouse sauce (which I still don't really know what it is) and havarti cheese. I had a portobello mushroom cap instead of a burger and my only complaint is that my "burger" was really slippery as there was nothing to hold it together. But it was my version of heaven so that was awesome.

Then we went to see The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. I HATED this movie. It almost made me want to skip going to Hobbiton when we go to New Zealand because the movie was incredibly awful. It was nothing like the book and mostly made up. Dave and I are leaning heavily towards not seeing the third movie in theatres because we were so disappointed. Plus the only showing at our theatre was in 3D and I actually screamed out loud twice. (I dare you not to scream out loud when it looks like a severed Orc head is about to land in your lap.)
And I can't believe we spent a whole evening with Tim and Janice and didn't get any pictures of them. I'm so disappointed in us.

So those were the first two celebrations of Dave's birthday. Tomorrow the celebrating continues... Well, the documentation of the celebrating. The actual celebrating is mostly done.

4 comments:

  1. I love how much you all are celebrating Dave's birthday. I hope he feels really special! I can't let Jason find out, he might feel like he's been neglected. hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE The Works. It is our go to spot at school. We always tell them to give us lots of extra beach house because whatever is in it... it's good!

    If it makes you feel any better I screamed out loud in Jurassic Park 3D... and I've seen that movie probably a 100x and new that raptor was about to jump out....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Works is quickly becoming a favourite place to visit for us too! And I CANNOT imagine watching Jurassic Park in 3D. Yikes!

      Delete
  3. Man, you are making me feel so guilty about still not properly celebrating Eddie's birthday. Can I just say I did a better job on his 32nd and call it even? I am just out of ideas. I actually made him blow out 32 candles that year. Haha! And I felt a little like that in The Hobbit Desolation of Smaug too, but then I figured they wanted to add a bunch of stuff from the Lord of the Rings movies and tie them together more than the books and I forgave them because seeing a little more Legalos (sp?) In action was okay with me. If you just look at it as a totally separate work from the book, I think it was pretty good. Of course, I only remember childhood versions of The Hobbit story. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)